ARP Photo

Guest TexxUK

Guest TexxUK

Here's another photo from my collection of family bits. A local ARP parade in the early 1940's. I thought I'd pose a question. Where is it? It's in Sheffield, of course.

I'll post the answer in a day or two, but I don't think I'll need to!

"In the middle of the front row of three women is my grandmother Kitty"

Great picture, most interesting. Many Thanks.

Pondered on it for a bit, can't find anything at all to try and place it, it's a main road with tram lines, not straight, not a dirty great big hill. Appears to have a small garage ("Service"), plus some shops. No sign of damage.

Beyond that, I'm currently defeated - hope someone else can spot something, or, at least add to my list of features of the picture.

Again, many thanks for posting - we need more of this !

Guest TexxUK

It's not the city centre and a restaurant now stands where the garage is in the photo.

Guest transit
London Rd or Abbeydale Rd?
Handsworth Road , as they are approaching the big church 100 yards further on their right?

Guest TexxUK

Spot on Transit. It's the ladies of the local post. I lived in Handsworth up to being nine and recognise a couple of the other people in the photo as well as my gran.

The Lajawab Restaurant stands where the garage was.

Guest transit

Spot on Transit. It's the ladies of the local post. I lived in Handsworth up to being nine and recognise a couple of the other people in the photo as well as my gran.

The Lajawab Restaurant stands where the garage was.

Thought it was!! the shops still exist to the right of the garage although obviously "done up" , and the road has been widened and made into a dual carriageway.

Handsworth Road , as they are approaching the big church 100 yards further on their right?

I would not have got that if you plonked me there right now with the original photo in my hand and big pink stickers all over the buildings saying "Here", top notch fun looking at the photo and thinking with my brain-remains though !

Must have been blind not to see it was Handsworth I pass that very spot umpteen times a day, only live a mile up the road if that. :wacko: Not very observant of me, I would have probably got it if it was the other side of town.