Sheffield German Shepherd Dog Society

RichardB

http://www.sheffieldgsd.com/images/SHEFF%20GSD%20HISTORY.pdf

Extract :

The following is a summary of the history of the Sheffield GSD Society from it's

conception in the mid 1920's until the end of the 1970's based on my father's memories of

the early days and my memories from the 1950's.

It was believed the Sheffield Alsatian Society started it's life in 1927 based solely on the

existence of a receipt issued in that year for my father's membership fee but after his

death his brother, who had also been a member, although he never owned a dog, gave me

the solid silver Society badge.

I have recently had the hallmark checked and found it tohave been issued by the Birmingham

Assay Office in 1927, so it is reasonable to assumethe Society was established a year of two earlier.

Incidentally the membership fee was five shillings (25p) for single membership and seven shillings

and sixpence (37.5p) for joint membership per annum which was quite expensive when you consider the average

working man's weekly wage was between £3 and £5. The same fees were still in force in1960.

The solid silver hallmarked badge was sold, at a profit, for seven shillings and sixpence.