Firth-Vickers

Guest JackD

Guest JackD

Not lived in Sheffield now for quite a number of years, i was wondering what has happened to Firth-Vickers rolling mills on Weeden st?. I knew that part went to Shepcote lane round about 1963,on what was called the pondarosa(an old mine working).

Regards Jack. :rolleyes:

Our office is near Weedon Street.

Theres not much on there now other than a little yard belonging to a stone merchant. The last big factory on there was the building directly behind the Tram Depot and that was mostly knocked down a few years ago.

Not lived in Sheffield now for quite a number of years, i was wondering what has happened to Firth-Vickers rolling mills on Weeden st?. I knew that part went to Shepcote lane round about 1963,on what was called the pondarosa(an old mine working).

Regards Jack. :rolleyes:

Bit late on this one but what remained of the Staybrite Bar Rolling Mills (Then owned by Allvac Ltd )- closed in late 2005 and the site sold for development.

A nice little 1939 article about Firth-Vickers Stainless Steels Limited.

Apologies for the poor quality of reproduction, but I trust that you find it to be interesting.

Reproduced for academic and research purposes only. I do not own the copyright.

A further nice little 1939 article about Thomas Firth and John Brown Limited, the parent company of Firth-Vickers Stainless Steels Limited.

Apologies for the poor quality of reproduction, but I trust that you find it to be interesting.

Again, reproduced for academic and research purposes only. I do not own the copyright.

Not to be too nit picky but Firth-Vickers was a company which was ,formed by Vickers and Firth's to take over their interests in stainless steels.