The Hawthorns Walkley-Crookesmoor Road

ceegee

The address "The Hawthorns Walkley" was occupied by a man called Smith in 1897 but I was wondering if this was the same "Hawthorns" as apppears in the History of St Philips byCanon Odom

http://youle.info/history/fh_material/St_Philips.html

The one mentioned in Odom's book is on Crooksmoor Road. Are they the same house - any ideas?

Also can anyone help with a more specific address and/or location of the house (or houses)

In the 1861 census, the Hawthornes, the home of (Miss) Maria RAWSON, is listed in the following sequence of addresses, all in "Crookes Moor Rd":

Spring Cottage

Moorgate House

The Hawthornes

Ivy Cottage

Moor Edge

then in Barber Road:

Moor Edge Cottage

Hadfield House [beer house]

Alpha Cottage

Barber Nook

There is no guarantee that these are in a strict geographical sequence. I cannot see the name 'The Hawthornes' on a large scale version of the 1851 OS map. There are, however, two unnamed houses between Moorgate House and Barber Nook Lane (which was developed as Barber Road after 1851). I would expect Miss Rawson, who has two servants in 1861, and was a noted philanthropist, to live in a substantial property.

The other reference to 'Hawthorns' will be difficult to pinpoint without more information. What is the source of the 1897 reference, and do you know anything more of Mr Smith?

Hugh

It is an advertisement in a 1897 edition of The Graphic for a bamboo bicycle. One of the testamonials in the advert was from a Mr F Smith of the Hawthorns Walkley. The thought of a bamboo bicycle on the cobbled streets of Walkley - ouch!!

My Father always told a tale of "a one-legged Chinaman riding a bamboo bicycle UP Blake Street", maybe this has some relation to your thread - with added embelishment, I fancy following a visit to The Fulton ! We were Upperthorpe/Walkley based.