Churches

Guest skeets

Guest skeets

HI ALL, Can anyone tell me where was the logic in demolishing a most beautiful church, namely All Saints at Pitsmoor, l can remember as a pupil of the attached school going for a service once a week, and all the roughnecks and bullies seemed to behave themselves, and cannot recall any lad grumbling about attending.

ln later years l worked on general repairs on the church and can re member the foreman and l walking round and him saying it's as good as the day it was built, It was donated by John Brown the steel magnate of that era of the 19th century, l've been in quite a few churches in my time but never feeling as much ora as in my church. When l passed when the new church was built , l sat in the car staring at this monstrosity, and thinking old John Brown must have turned in his grave as they say l

l know as l drove away feeling quite sad and angry for the persons responsible ,l also recall seeing,the next morning after the Sun; night blitz a great hole between the perimeter wall and the pavement and a great big unexploded bomb stuck there we were soon moved on when the army came and roped off, apart from shrapnel

Damage it withstood Hitlers mob and deserved to stand for another century l'm sure it would have.

Cheers Skeets. P.S. can one of you lads put me some pics up please ?

Guest Trefcon

I was Christened at that Church, as kids we played in it when it was derelict. We use to climb up to the belfry and drop lumps of pigeon C***p over the side and watch it explode! as you do when kids!

I also remember just after demolition Bamber Gascoigne doing a part of a programme about Church's and he was filmed walking around the site of the flattened Church.

The War Memorials do survive though, they are at St Georges at Brookhill.

Dean.

HI ALL, Can anyone tell me where was the logic in demolishing a most beautiful church, namely All Saints at Pitsmoor, l can remember as a pupil of the attached school going for a service once a week, and all the roughnecks and bullies seemed to behave themselves, and cannot recall any lad grumbling about attending.

ln later years l worked on general repairs on the church and can re member the foreman and l walking round and him saying it's as good as the day it was built, It was donated by John Brown the steel magnate of that era of the 19th century, l've been in quite a few churches in my time but never feeling as much ora as in my church. When l passed when the new church was built , l sat in the car staring at this monstrosity, and thinking old John Brown must have turned in his grave as they say l

l know as l drove away feeling quite sad and angry for the persons responsible ,l also recall seeing,the next morning after the Sun; night blitz a great hole between the perimeter wall and the pavement and a great big unexploded bomb stuck there we were soon moved on when the army came and roped off, apart from shrapnel

Damage it withstood Hitlers mob and deserved to stand for another century l'm sure it would have.

Cheers Skeets. P.S. can one of you lads put me some pics up please ?

Another old church that is due for demolition. A small church is to be built and SOME MORE FLATS!! United Reform Chesterfield Rd .

Guest Trefcon

Hi Denise, the memorials are from All Saint's Ellesmere that was demolished. A new Church, St. Peter's, was built in it's place.

Dean.