Strange Stories

Guest coffee cup

Guest coffee cup

How about a topic on strange stories, and legends in Sheffield, forgive me if this already exists, but I am new so that is my excuse. If it is new the I would like to start it off with..... wait for it.......

THE TURKEY RHUBARB SELLERS.

Yes you read it right,

Who knows anything about this ? All I know is they used to stand around the tripe sellars on King Street, long before I was born.

B)B)B)B)B) B)

Nothing springs to mind from me - but I bet you a tenner one of the other members will know exactly what you mean !

I'll do some digging..

Turkey rhubarb is a plant, Rheum palmatum of the family Polygonaceae, also known as Chinese rhubarb and East Indian rhubarb.[link] Closely related to the garden Rhubarb, Rheum rhaponticum, it has a similar purgative effect upon the human body.

Turkey rhubarb is cited in the Yorkshire Fed. of Women's Institutes cookbook Through Yorkshire's kitchen door (31st ed. 3rd impression June 1958) (page 192) as part of a cure for indigestion: full recipe half oz. turkey rhubarb, half oz ground ginger, half oz bicarb. of soda, one oz magnesia: mix well together, dose half teaspoonful in a little water before each meal.

Guest coffee cup

Thought it would fool you and that is Rhubarb not gooseberry. :lol: :lol:

Ledgend as it they used to stand "admist the tripe sellars in King Street keeping a constant barrage of chatter to the crowd. saying "Real genuine turkey rhubarb..... mine uncle goes to Turkey vonce every year and comes back twice a year. The real genuine turkey rhubarb " !!

People would stand, listen, gaze and wonder at the rhubarb sellars, whilst consuming penn'orths of tripe.

Was this just good sales for tripe ???????

:):):):):):):)

Next strange story

Who was the first to carry an umbrella in Sheffield ????

Samuel Fox?

Well, at least one with a Steel frame....

Englishman, Samuel Fox from Sheffield, a subject of her Majesty Queen Victoria, invented the steel frame in 1852 which eliminated the umbrella’s unwieldy heft.

Guest coffee cup

like your comment deejayone about the steeel frame :P:P:P

The honour of being the first person to use such a devise has been claimed by at least 4 people, one being " Mr. Holy of Holy Green, Mr Greaves, Mr Newbould and William Trickett.

The latter was Master cutler in 1771, and when he first appeared carrying an unbrella, his brother Enoch joined in the general laughter, with the remark, "see thee, our Bill's getten a walkin' stick wi' petticoats on " !!!!!!!

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P :P

Mr Holy of Holy Green sounds like a cad. I wager he was formulating some hysterical fantasy in his mind to curry favour with his peers and make false claim to the deed.

Guest coffee cup

Admin I think you might be right ,

:P:P is that a chicken Korma or a Lamb Rogan Josh ???? :P:P:P:P:P:P:P

No but on a serious note it makes me wonder what the wonderful people of sheffield did , just to make their mark.

Beware I have many more of these little stories. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest coffee cup

Admin

How will you know which ones I know the answers to ?? :P:P:P:P

Next one

What was the Stupid Club ???????? clue it was around 1880 and no before anyone asks I don't remember it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Admin hope you don't regret letting me in :P

"The Attercliffe Stupid Club was formed in the 1820s by a group of cronies at the Old Blue Bell on Worksop Road. Initiation rites included fishing seriously and persistently in a bucket with a cork for bait. Members were entitled to 10s ( 50p ) a week sickness benefit as long as they gave three months notice before becoming sick, and to £100 on their deaths as long as they fetched the money themselves. A deputation was sent by the club to join Queen Victorias Coronation procession; headed by a leading club member, riding a mule, facing its tail, wearing a yellow jacket and a board bearing the words "From the Stupid Club, Attercliffe". Records do not reveal whether Queen Victoria was amused."

Guest coffee cup

Admin I am sure Queen Victoria was very amused and well done for getting the answer so fast( was that the power of the internet or have those grey cells been working over time ??)

I shall have to think about my next strange story.

In the mean time admin you can hand out the rulers and the text books, and have a Gold Star.

Guest coffee cup

Well Admin, sit in the corner,

I use the old fashioned method Books. Be afraid be very afraid :P:P

I will find something you can't look up on the internet. !!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest coffee cup

Well Admin just before I retire one for you , how about" Duck power,"

shall I give you a clue ??

Yes i am feeling generous

It is not a long story ( only 2 lines in my book )

:lol: :lol: :lol

Guest coffee cup

Admin think

{thats you not google !!) ooh around errh 1854 and a bloke called Harvey Teesdale.

I know I have given you too much info now :(:( :(

ha ha ha !!!

You gave it away !

In 1854 a man called Harvey Teesdale floated down the River Don from West Bar, in a basket pulled along by a number of ducks!

That's a fantastic story - I'd love to have seen THAT one !!

Guest coffee cup

WELL DONE ADMIN YOU HAVE DONE IT AGAIN, was it Mr Google who helped you out ??????? if so he is really a very nice man {I assume he is male !! }

Hand out the rulers and have a gold star

Next one for you all

How about the Doctor and the Parson ?????

Clue if you need it The Doctors name was the same you might see him for ?????????

i.e ache , but it wasn't ache !!!!!! :P:P:P

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P :P