Graham Shaw's cafe

Guest pete_s

Guest pete_s

I'm trying to remember where (ex-United footballer) Graham Shaw's cafe was in the Fish Market. I can see him now in a white coat serving dinners, but can't remember the EXACT location. Anybody know what's there now?

I can remember his brother Brian's fish and chip stall, I think that's still there.

Guest carlie167

Hi Pete, and welcome. Graham Shaws cafe was on the ground floor of the market at the bottom of the steps to the fish market. If you went in the Waingate entrance it was in the corner facing you. I know because I worked next door at Castle Bakery (do you remember that?), and I often had my break in there.

Before Shaws had the cafe, it belonged to Edwards who also had the china stalls in the Sheaf Market. Compared to those days, the markets seem very lacking in atmosphere, and much less busy.

Oh well, times they are a changing and all that. lol lol

Guest pete_s

Hi Pete, and welcome. Graham Shaws cafe was on the ground floor of the market at the bottom of the steps to the fish market. If you went in the Waingate entrance it was in the corner facing you. I know because I worked next door at Castle Bakery (do you remember that?), and I often had my break in there.

Before Shaws had the cafe, it belonged to Edwards who also had the china stalls in the Sheaf Market. Compared to those days, the markets seem very lacking in atmosphere, and much less busy.

Oh well, times they are a changing and all that. lollol

Thanks for your reply carlie but unfortunately it hasn't helped me (I must seem thick to you).

I was sure it was in the Fish Market but you say on the ground floor at the bottom of the steps to the Fish Market. Are you meaning the Fish Market is the ground floor?

If I walked down the steps where would it be ? (To my right and along the far wall is in my mind).

There will be a divorce if I don't settle this !!!

Thanks for your reply carlie but unfortunately it hasn't helped me (I must seem thick to you).

I was sure it was in the Fish Market but you say on the ground floor at the bottom of the steps to the Fish Market. Are you meaning the Fish Market is the ground floor?

If I walked down the steps where would it be ? (To my right and along the far wall is in my mind).

There will be a divorce if I don't settle this !!!

Hi 'pete_s' the cafe in the fish market is Brian Shaw and it's still there, but I'm not sure if it's owned by Brian now.

I remember it from years ago when I use to go there to collect the dinner for my work mates, its near to the toilets in the corner of the fish market.

There was a Chip Shop across from it but sorry I can't remember who owned it, I'm talking about twenty or more years ago

Guest carlie167

Sorry Pete s, I never was very good at directions. Now, if you go in the market from the entrance on Waingate, not the main entrance on Exchange St, you had The Army Careers Office on your left, next inside the market there was a shop called Toy Fair, next to that was Sandlers the jewellers, then the steps up to the fish market and upper market and facing you was Shaws cafe. On your right was Tom Marsh grocers. Hope this helps because it was a long time ago!!!

I took some photos a few weeks ago, of the market an this one shows its still a cafe now. Does this help you to place it?

Must save you from that divorce!! :o

Guest carlie167

Hi, me again, I also found one of what used to be Brian Shaws cafe in the fish market, so Im posting this as well. :)

Guest pete_s

Hi 'pete_s' the cafe in the fish market is Brian Shaw and it's still there, but I'm not sure if it's owned by Brian now.

I remember it from years ago when I use to go there to collect the dinner for my work mates, its near to the toilets in the corner of the fish market.

There was a Chip Shop across from it but sorry I can't remember who owned it, I'm talking about twenty or more years ago

You're right Steve, it was Brian Shaw's and before that he had the Fish and Chip stall.

Thanks for your interest, I think Carlie has now solved the problem.

Guest pete_s

Sorry Pete s, I never was very good at directions. Now, if you go in the market from the entrance on Waingate, not the main entrance on Exchange St, you had The Army Careers Office on your left, next inside the market there was a shop called Toy Fair, next to that was Sandlers the jewellers, then the steps up to the fish market and upper market and facing you was Shaws cafe. On your right was Tom Marsh grocers. Hope this helps because it was a long time ago!!!

I took some photos a few weeks ago, of the market an this one shows its still a cafe now. Does this help you to place it?

Must save you from that divorce!! :o

I've got it - I think I've got it !!! But I'll go down to town tomorrow just to have a look.

I think the marriage is safe now (don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing) thanks a lot,

Pete

Guest carlie167

Hi Pete, let me know if you recognise any of the market when you go down investigaing Shaws cafe, I worked in the market for 12 years and really enjoyed all the market banter.

There seemed to be a bigger variety of stalls back then and a great atmosphere, but I suppose with all the talk of it being demolished makes for a bit of uncertainty, hence the empty stalls, and it is looking a bit seedy round that area.

Hopefully, one bonus when the market does come down, we might get a chance to see the castle ruins. :)

Guest pete_s

Hi Pete, let me know if you recognise any of the market when you go down investigaing Shaws cafe, I worked in the market for 12 years and really enjoyed all the market banter.

There seemed to be a bigger variety of stalls back then and a great atmosphere, but I suppose with all the talk of it being demolished makes for a bit of uncertainty, hence the empty stalls, and it is looking a bit seedy round that area.

Hopefully, one bonus when the market does come down, we might get a chance to see the castle ruins. :)

Hi there carlie, just got back from town - yep its there alright, I'd forgotten about that little corner down in the basement. It brought back a lot of memories.

Market is still OK, a few empty stalls but it was quite busy. Exchange Street is awful now though, only about 4 shops open.

I should sleep soundly tonight, cheers.

Good pictures by the way.

Guest carlie167

Thats the great thing about the forum, no matter what the question, someone will usually come up with an answer or point you in the right direction. I was born and brought up in Sheffield and thought I knew quite a bit about it but I have learned so much more on here, I love it! ;-)