Proposed Oral History Project on Blackburn Meadows Power Station

Guest Wazman

Guest Matt Black

Hello Wazman, it was good to read your piece. I am really interested in the history of the power station and the people who worked there. I am a writer and am currently writing a long prose poem about the cooling towers - I've got quite a lot of material already based on their appearance, recent history and what the towers might be saying, and I am now looking for stories which are much more closely related to the power station itself - the people who worked there, things that happened, family lives, working practices, accidents, employment issues etc.. It is a strange landscape of attention on the towers at present - words like icon, landmark etc. keep reappearing, but it is very generalised, without any real background of history, of the power station, or of the people who worked there. I'd be very interested to find out more about the history of the station - would there be any chance of reading your M.A. paper? and/or are there are other sources you could let me know about? I'd also be interested in contributing to an archive or whatever emerges from this project.