Union Building

Draco

Hi, In 1841 My gr gr gr gr grandfather and family lived at according to 1841 census 'union building' in sheffield. Does anyone know where this building/buildings was? I have been searching, but the only hints I am getting is Croft Cottages and iron Bridge.

In the 50s and 60s it was across the road from the main university building.

I thought that, but it was mentioned in the sheffield floodthe great flood of sheffield the paragraph (102)

THE DESTRUCTION BETWEEN CORPORATION BRIDGE AND LADY'S BRIDGE. I wonder if that was the union buildings my gr gr gr gr grandfather lived in 1841? and my gr gr gr grandfather in 1851

Guest tsavo

I was thinking of the Students union....could it be a trade union that's being referred to?

Guest tsavo

Hi, In 1941 My gr gr gr gr grandfather and family lived at according to 1841 census 'union building' in sheffield. Does anyone know where this building/buildings was? I have been searching, but the only hints I am getting is Croft Cottages and iron Bridge.

This may be the answer you're looking for, the Sheffield Union House, Kelham St.

GREAT FLOOD

I am instructed by JOHN WEBSTER ESQ, CORONER, to give PUBLIC NOTICE that it is not his intention to hold INQUESTS on any of the bodies of persons lying in his DISTRICT who lost their lives in the GREAT FLOOD this Morning, with the exception of those viewed by the Jury at the Sheffield Union House this Afternoon, and their Relatives and Friends will be permitted to move them and make the necessary arrangements for their interment without delay.

It will however be necessary to furnish the Police with the names and ages of all Bodies prior to their removal, and the Persons removing them must give their own names and addresses to the Constables on duty at the places from whence they are taken.

A number of Bodies are at the undermentioned places awaiting identification and removal, viz:

THE SHEFFIELD UNION HOUSE, KELHAM STREET

THE SPORTSMAN'S INN, OWLERTON

MR. ARMITAGE'S BEERHOUSE, OWLERTON

THE SHAKESPEARE INN, HILLSBRO'

THE QUEEN'S HOTEL, Langsett Road

THE ROSE INN, near Bottom Barracks Gate

THE NEW BARRACK TAVERN, Bottom Road

BARRACK HOSPITAL

THE OLD FLOUR MILL

THE NEW VICTORIA HOTEL

THE YEW TREE INN, Malin Bridge

Town Hall,

Sheffield.

March 12, 1864

JOHN JACKSON Chief Constable.

http://mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/shef...l/the-cast.html

It could even the Sheffield Union Workhouse at Kelham Island that's being refered to. Still looking for Croft Cottages. What namesfor your g g g Grandfather?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...Dpt-PT%26sa%3DG

Found this map with Iron Bridge identified:

The Union Workhouse is just off the map to the left, so, now for Croft Cottages. Anyone help?

This may be the answer you're looking for, the Sheffield Union House, Kelham St.

GREAT FLOOD

I am instructed by JOHN WEBSTER ESQ, CORONER, to give PUBLIC NOTICE that it is not his intention to hold INQUESTS on any of the bodies of persons lying in his DISTRICT who lost their lives in the GREAT FLOOD this Morning, with the exception of those viewed by the Jury at the Sheffield Union House this Afternoon, and their Relatives and Friends will be permitted to move them and make the necessary arrangements for their interment without delay.

It will however be necessary to furnish the Police with the names and ages of all Bodies prior to their removal, and the Persons removing them must give their own names and addresses to the Constables on duty at the places from whence they are taken.

A number of Bodies are at the undermentioned places awaiting identification and removal, viz:

THE SHEFFIELD UNION HOUSE, KELHAM STREET

THE SPORTSMAN'S INN, OWLERTON

MR. ARMITAGE'S BEERHOUSE, OWLERTON

THE SHAKESPEARE INN, HILLSBRO'

THE QUEEN'S HOTEL, Langsett Road

THE ROSE INN, near Bottom Barracks Gate

THE NEW BARRACK TAVERN, Bottom Road

BARRACK HOSPITAL

THE OLD FLOUR MILL

THE NEW VICTORIA HOTEL

THE YEW TREE INN, Malin Bridge

Town Hall,

Sheffield.

March 12, 1864

JOHN JACKSON Chief Constable.

http://mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/shef...l/the-cast.html

It could even the Sheffield Union Workhouse at Kelham Island that's being refered to. Still looking for Croft Cottages. What names?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...Dpt-PT%26sa%3DG

Okay there.. I have attached the census forms.. the 1841 just says where the address is.. union buildings, The 1851 address is Something? U Building I cannot make out the first bit of address. Cheers for the help.

Can you give me the name?

Name of my ggg grandfather was Thomas Goodwin. The only mention of the U buildings is on the sheffield flood site which I stated before Starts with the quote "A row of cottages in The Crofts, called Union Buildings, were in great danger."

Guest tsavo

There was a Union Croft listed in 1741, presumably near the Workhouse and Iron Bridge, Still looking.

That is brillaint, any chance this building is still standing? or what it became after?

Thankyou both for your help. Thsi has helped me in my quest loads!

There was a Union Croft listed in 1741, presumably near the Workhouse and Iron Bridge, Still looking.

Could be why their alternate name was croft cottages. Neddy found the Union Buildings on Bridge street, so it looks like you both are very close on this, thankyou.

Hi, In 1841 My gr gr gr gr grandfather and family lived at according to 1841 census 'union building' in sheffield. Does anyone know where this building/buildings was? I have been searching, but the only hints I am getting is Croft Cottages and iron Bridge.

Isn't the "Union" Building actually the Workhouse itself - as in Poor Law Union?

Guest tsavo

It could be. It's the Croft Cottages bit that seemed to point away from the workhouse. I can't read the census pages, maybe a younger pair of eyes can help?

The census images are not of the workhouse - the inmates of institutions such as workhouses were recorded on special enumerators' sheets. Nor would families have been listed together.

Union Buildings is next to Union Wheel, which was a building specifically built for little mesters, allowing them to rent space, with power included, for their individual crafts. Union Buildings, which seems to be all residential might have been a venture by the same people who built the wheel. Both might have taken their names from their proximity to the workhouse - though that seems to be odd - I wouldn't want my bright new enterprise associated with the grim (but just) fate of the undeserving poor. lol

In fact I'm not sure that Sheffield Poor Law Union would have been in operation in 1841 as I believe Sheffield (along with many northern towns) dragged their feet in implementing the 1834 law. So maybe the name comes from somewhere else.

You can see the development of the area on the various maps of Sheffield at http://www.old-maps.co.uk. The grid reference for these buildings is 435500 388100. In 1855 there is no clear road between the wheel and Union Buildings. By the 1890's Corporation Street divides them. Not all the maps can be zoomed.

Hugh

Look on Sheffield Flood Claims, put Union Buildings in the search, 1853 map can be zoomed.

That is great! thankyou very much to all that has helped. I wonder why they called them the union buildings? could it be to do with the workhouse? what those buildings are now in its place? looks like a works or offices?

Link to an archaeological dig at the Union Wheel and referring to the Union Buildings is here:

http://archaeologyda...us2-46376_2.pdf

Unfortunately the maps section is missing, but there is an interesting section showing how clay pipes can be used for dating purposes (I don't mean smoking tobacco to impress women... )

A brief extract:

The Union Grinding Wheel was constructed in 1817 and was first depicted on Leather’s 1823 map of Sheffield. Prior to the construction of the Union Wheel the area had been occupied by open fields and lay beyond the main area of the town. The Union Grinding Wheel was Sheffield’s largest grinding wheel, housing 47 ‘hulls’ or workshops, and 231 grinding troughs in a two-storey structure, 110 yards long. It was powered from the outset by a 60 hp. steam engine and never contained a water wheel. As with its near neighbour, the Soho Grinding Wheel, it was a tenement factory with independent craftsmen renting troughs from the owners, and sharing a common source of power. To encourage the use of the buildings which lay on the outskirts of the town, the Union Buildings were constructed to the east of the grinding workshop building. Forming part of the complex, the Union Buildings were purpose-built housing, along with a Public House, for the tenant craftsmen. The buildings were separated from the Union Grinding Wheel by the construction of Corporation Street.