Kelham Mill Race

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

i think it's to get the waters ' flowing' again.

i read somewhere this week about it but i cant remember where!!

i was there today on a different matter.

also apparently there was going to be built a replica of the Brooklyn Bridge built just up from Kelham, but the floods have put paid to that because of the damage to the banks etc.

the 'race' i think was what made Kelham an island?

Dean.

i think it's to get the waters ' flowing' again.

i read somewhere this week about it but i cant remember where!!

i was there today on a different matter.

also apparently there was going to be built a replica of the Brooklyn Bridge built just up from Kelham, but the floods have put paid to that because of the damage to the banks etc.

the 'race' i think was what made Kelham an island?

Dean.

Here are some photo's taken today, the water is flowing, Kelham Island is an island again. Over a year since Dean's photo, it all looks very mature. Even all the new appartment blocks are blending in (well slightly).

Its good to see they decided to leave the stone pillars in place. It gives a sense of history and an idea of the buildings that used to sit on top of them.

Apparently there's been a recent survey done of all the old mill sites on all the rivers in Sheffield to assess their potential for small scale electricity generation.

The result was that only a few sites, all on the Don, were considered viable. The race at Kelham is being cleared out and a water powered generator will be installed as an experiment.