Finding Great Granny

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

Hi,

how do i find where my great grand mother is buried/creamted?

Her name was Isabella Dale nee Roebuck, married to Albert Dale who was killed in the great war.

Isabella lived at Edward Street flats just after the Great War. I think she died in the fifties.

thats all i have at the mo,

thanks in advance

Dean.

Hi,

Her name was Isabella Dale nee Roebuck, married to Albert Dale who was killed in the great war.

Isabella lived at Edward Street flats just after the Great War. I think she died in the fifties.

thanks in advance

Dean.

Hi Dean, I suggest you put an entry on the Sheffield Indexers massage board http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

There are a number of poeple involved in that who have cemetery data.

John

I asume her husband is the Albert Dale here

A DALE, Lance Corporal, York and Lancaster Regiment, 2nd Bn. Age: 39 Date of Death: 18/09/1918

Service No: 53521, Son of Edward Emmanuel Dale; husband of Isabella Dale, of 10/2, Edward St., Sheffield.

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 15. Cemetery: TREFCON BRITISH CEMETERY, CAULAINCOURT

Sue

Guest Trefcon

Hi Sue, hope your well.

Yes, that is my Great Grand Father Albert.

He attested into the 7th East Yorkshires originally. He then had a spell in a Tunnellers Coy, (very dodgy! )

Hospitalised twice, once for a gassing!

He was also a bit naughty, overstaying his leave pass twice and going AWOL while in England, if he had been in France .......!! but he got off with Field Punishment No 1, shackled!!

He then ended up with the 2nd Y & L at the beginning of Sept, two weeks later he was dead.

I have just finnished an 8 year project to record his war service, it just needs binding, the one thing i couldn't find though was a photgraph of him. This i am passing on to my Aunts and Uncles, his grand children.

This is where Isabella comes into it, i just thought if i had a snap of her grave, i could put this in at the end to complete it.

regards

Dea.

My great Uncle John Preston went AWOL I think it was because he had just got married. Grandma didnt really want to tell me all the details but she thought if she didnt tell me then I would eventually find out as I was researching what happend to him. The police came to get him one day she said, I asume she meant the army police.

John was killed on his mothers birthday maybe he was pre occupied with thinking of her, we will never know.

Sue

Hi,

thanks in advance

Dean.

Isabella, of course, lived at No 4 Court 29 Granville Street, Park in 1891 with her Father Harry and her Mother Annie.

Guest Trefcon

Thanks very much for that RichardB, i didn't have that bit of info, brilliant.

thanks again

Dean.

1901 Isabella, aged 21, a Spoon and fork buffer, living with Mom and Dad 29 Court, Granville Street. Dad, Henry, aged 47, was a Paviours Labourer (Roads) - obviously-ish.

Guest Trefcon

Ditto post 8 RichardB.

Excellent.

Dean.

By the way, whats a FOK Buffer ? oh! FORK Buffer! lol

Ditto post 8 RichardB.

Excellent.

Dean.

By the way, whats a FOK Buffer ? oh! FORK Buffer! lol

I've corrected that, Thanks, my mistook ... didn't say I took a great deal of notice when I find stuff.

1881 4 Ct, 29 Pond Street, Park

Henry Roebuck (28), Pen and pocket knife finisher

Annie Almond (22), Servant

Isabella Almond (1), Servants daughter

William Roebuck (26) - Brother

George (12) - Brother

Draw your own conclusions.

Guest Trefcon

Hhmmmm ?

1 - Henry had his wicked way with the servant girl, result Isabella ?

2 - Henry needed some one to look after young George so took in Annie and her daughter, became lovers and married her, adopting Isabella ?

3 - Almond was Annies and Isabellas middle name. In General Portion Ground, Grave No 9940, Section Z, at City Road, there is a Roebuck Grave.

There are four people in there,

Annie Roebuck, spinster aged 33, died at 29 Court, Granville Street, buried 21 Sept 1897.

Annie Elizabeth Roebuck, ( Wife of Henry ) aged 52. Died at 189 Granville Street, buried on May 15 1911.

William Roebuck, ( Pen & Pocket Blade Finisher ) age 46, Died at Fir Vale workhouse, buried on 18 Dec 1899.

THEN, there is a Elsie ALMOND Roebuck, ( Child age 2 months ) died at 29 court, 4 Granville Street, buried on 5 Sept 1899.

Option 3 then ?

Dean.