Crookes Gardens 1851

ceegee

I have just located my wife's great great grandparents in the 1851 UK Census.

The adress is 171 Crookes Gardens - the house next door is Northumberland farm house. The obvious assumption is that Crookes Gardens WAS in the vicinity of what is now Northumberland Road but that is an assumption. Can anyone provide me with a more precise location and any further details

Thanks

hello ceegee,

'171' is the census schedule number rather than a house number. House numbers in the 1851 census are as rare as hen's teeth.

The address of the next household is 'Northumberland f[?] garden house'. Even if the 'f' really is an 'f' (and I am not at all sure about that) I don't see why it should mean farm. The head of household is a cutler.

There are several households in 'Crookes Gardens' and they are preceded by the following addresses:

Broomhill

Westbourne Fulwood Rd

Westbourne Lodge

Westbourne House

Five Oaks Lodge

High School Stone Grove

and followed by addresses in Fulwood Rd. (There are stray addresses from Crookes Gardens later in the return which may a case of the enumerator 'catching up' on difficult families lol)

The 1851 ordnance survey map (surveyed, in fact, in 1848) doesn't show 'Crookes Gardens' in this area, which must be that bounded by Glossop Road, Newbould Lane, Whitham Road, and Nothumberland Road. There is a prominent area of gardens called 'Holy Gardens', probably named after the Holy family. This might have been renamed by 1851?! You can look at the area on the 1855 edition at http://www.old-maps.co.uk (coordinates 433700 387100).

Hugh :)

Hello HughW

Thank you for the information and the time taken. The "renaming of Holy Gardens" seems to be a more than a viable possibility. The map by the way was excellent