The Current Situation

RichardB

Here's a breakdown of what we currently have, Year, No. of Premises with a known Keeper.

(This may be only 1 known keeper across the whole range, or in one spectacular case 24 known keepers out of a possible score of 25, it only missed the 25th because it had closed between 1925 and 1951). The place may have been a Pub or a Beerhouse; there are plenty of Beerhouses still to be added, I'm concentrating on Public houses because I find them interesting, there is a much higher chance of finding a name for the premises and a keeper - it also gets on the wife's nerves lol

1821 52

1822 250

1825 359

1828 332

1833 216

1834 337

1837 321

1841 115

1846 369

1849 324

1851 No records at all

1852 246

1854 443

1856 329

1861 211

1862 531

1871 934

1881 779

1891 61 Dreadful !

1893 258

1901 647

1905 627

1911 623

1919 99

1925 96

1951 616

What happened to 1851 was there a prohibition going on!!

lol

Never got around to it, since we have 1849 and 1852 it kind of got a low priority. There's a job for you !!!!

Someone has to get lumbered with it ... consider yourself honoured.

Actually, if I cross-check 1849 and 1852 then I can probably generate over 100 names

if Fred Bloggs was running a boozer in 1849 and still running it in 1852, then he was probably running it in 1851. I'll do that sometime soon and let you know, till then it's all yours lol

One year on, the list of 700 of so Pubs listed by my Father many years ago, has grown a bit.

Two Thousand four hundred and twenty four premises and 10,174 named individuals (still got the 168 from 1787 to add), well, it's progress <_< he he

Then when you start to move further afield you can add my dad

Clifford Haynes, Chequers Inn, Whiston, 1969

and me

Christopher Haynes, Trader Jacks, Ipswich, 1995 lol

After a year on this, I'm not even going to try to tackle Rotherham ! I can, however, begin to see the end in sight, unless someone comes up with some more "Good stuff" I have just one job left ... cross check 2427 records against my list, then we have it done - unless we decide to add Beerhouses (Beerhouses with known dates, keepers and addresses but no Pub name) ... which is partly done.

So then, we either carry out my "Master Plan" (which requires volunteers - easy task, create a posting in alphabetical oder for every Pub on the list, that's it e.g. Brown Cow, 1821-1892), then we can deposit all the details into the alphabetical listings and post links of every image of the Pub, mainly from PictureSheffield - then we have a somethingie to be proud of.

Every known Pub (Other than those we have missed !), every known keeper with year, with links to all known images of that Boozer.

If we have Volunteers, then the job is relatively simple (instructions will be provided), no volunteers then I'll find a way to post the entire listing and move onto something new.

Speaking of which, do we have any listings here of "Workhouse inmates", I think that might be a challenge worth taking on ...

Well I would like to volunteer my services as and when required

Great, choose a letter from A-Z (don't choose Z, there aren't any) - depends on how keen you are ! Put your name against a letter (or letters), I'd like to do 'em A-Z, but we've got about a month - just calling for Volunteers at the mo. Many Thanks,I've had this "idea" for over 6 months now, just need to get "The List" to be as complete as possible, no point listing 2,000 plus places, then messing up the oder with late postings. Once "The List" is deemed complete, we list 'em all, alphabetically, a "Pinned" posting, and when links are in place, you'll be able to see details of the Ship on Shalesmoor, all known keepers, and all images (assuming people will join in plonking links onto there).

"Support a Victorian Pub, put your name against a letter !"

A 89 Dobberd

B 350

C 216

D 56

E 47

F 101

G 131

H 96

I 19

J 9

K 26

L 50

M 102

N 121

O 84

P 149

Q 27

R 211

S 206

T 91

U 20

V 44

W 158

Y 21

Well put me down for A then to begin with.

Now, you know you volunteered to help ... and I said it might be another month ? Well, it's NOW !!!!

I'll PM you some data, go to the Pubs section, there is a "Pinned" topic, go there, go to "A" Pubs, reply, I've done a few as examples

ALWAYS reply to the "A" Pubs posting, delete the original message. With a blank reply either type (or cut and paste)

- the next entry would go as follows :

Acorn

52 Wicker, S1

Open 1856 or earlier

then reply, because we don't have a closing date we don't have a span.

Go to the next record, go back to "A" Pubs and reply, repeat, repeat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fictional example might show a bit more detail

Ample Fishcake (NAME)

27 Acacia Avenue, S3 (ADDRESS)

Open 1823 or earlier, Closed 1921, Span 98 years (OPEN), (CLOSED), (SPAN)

- became a "Knocking Shop" (COMMENTS)

PM me when you're ready to begin !

Thanks again.

A-H complete

I with Dobberd (slight pause down to me supplying data, sorry)

N - in progress with Tsavo

T-V complete, W in progress, all the way the Z should be complete tomorrow, then I join in with N-S

On target for end of the month, I said this would be a World Class resource, how are we doing so far ?

Letters A-L complete (data, not picture links),

M 101 pubs still to post

N-O complete

P 149 to post

Q 26 to post

R 213 to post

S 207 to post

26% of the total left to post.

Rest of "R" Pubs and all of "S" Pubs to do, then we're done; or are we ? I'm working on 1864 Pubs, Tsavo and Dobberd, if you get there before me, I'd like to post the final Pub of the "S" list if possible .....