Rodgers - Cutlers to her majesty

Guest drizzle

Guest drizzle

Hi, I am new to this board and would like some help to identify this penknife that I recently acquired. On one side of the big blade it says Rodgers - Cutlers to Her Majesty and on the small blade are two logos. On the opposite side, the big blade has two logo and a England name on it. The small blade has a No 6 Norfolk Street, Sheffield on its blade.

Here is the link to the penknife: Link to photo of penknife

Many thanks guys.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi drizzle. Welcome to the site. Nice looking knife. It was made by Joseph Rodgers and Sons of Sheffield. The company's trade mark was a star and cross. Rodgers was one of a handful of cutlers with a Royal Warrant. Cutlers to Her Majesty refers to Queen Victoria. The England mark helps to narrow it down to 1891 or thereafter. Thus, your knife was made 1891-1901. The handle scales appear to be made from elephant ivory. Based on the handle shape and master blade, this is a Wharncliffe knife. Named after the 1st Baron of Wharncliffe (James Archibald Stuart Wortley MacKenzie) who is credited with the design back in the 1820s. I hope this is of interest.

Guest drizzle

Hi drizzle. Welcome to the site. Nice looking knife. It was made by Joseph Rodgers and Sons of Sheffield. The company's trade mark was a star and cross. Rodgers was one of a handful of cutlers with a Royal Warrant. Cutlers to Her Majesty refers to Queen Victoria. The England mark helps to narrow it down to 1891 or thereafter. Thus, your knife was made 1891-1901. The handle scales appear to be made from elephant ivory. Based on the handle shape and master blade, this is a Wharncliffe knife. Named after the 1st Baron of Wharncliffe (James Archibald Stuart Wortley MacKenzie) who is credited with the design back in the 1820s. I hope this is of interest.

Hi Smiling-Knife, many thanks for your enlightenment on the history of the penknife. I am keeping this knife as a collector item and for curiosiy sake, what is the value of this penknife now?

Nice to hear from you again.

Guest Smiling-Knife

Hi drizzle. You're welcome for the information. It is a nice old knife from a good maker so desirable among collectors. It is a keeper. I can't estimate the value with any certainty so am reluctant to guess. Best wishes.

Hi Drizzle,

If I can help you i could say that this knife model is sold in some brazilian flea markets for about US$ 250. I have a pocket knives collection with some goods from Sheffield: Joseph Rodgers & Sons, William Rodgers, George Wostenholm, W. Saynor and others. I am now looking for a good horseman's knife, doesn't matter the maker.

Guest majex45

Hi Drizzle,

If I can help you i could say that this knife model is sold in some brazilian flea markets for about US$ 250. I have a pocket knives collection with some goods from Sheffield: Joseph Rodgers & Sons, William Rodgers, George Wostenholm, W. Saynor and others. I am now looking for a good horseman's knife, doesn't matter the maker.

Hi, I have been a knife collector for over 30 years, I have several horseman's knives.

Can I PM you with photos?

Majex45

lol lollol

Hi, I have been a knife collector for over 30 years, I have several horseman's knives.

Can I PM you with photos?

Majex45

Hi,

Sorry for my English but I do not know the meaning of PM. If you want to send some horseman's knife photos to me, it will be a pleasure to see than. And if you prefer, use my personnal e-mail: whitewilliam@estadao.com.br

Bill

Guest George21

I also have a "Cutlers To His Magesty" blade from T.Turner&CO. Any information regarding dates or makers would be amazing.

I also have a "Cutlers To His Magesty" blade from T.Turner&CO. Any information regarding dates or makers would be amazing.

Received these photo's by email

Anybody got any comments or further information

Guest 5upp0r7

hi, I'm Portuguese(Brazilian), my English is not good, I have this collection for a long time, my grandparents and great grandparents, and I know little about this collection, I would like to know more what their history and what its value on this collection, if it is and the most important.

Thank you.

graciously

Patrick Sperling