Kitchen Family

Guest peteincumbria

Guest peteincumbria

Does anyone have any information on the KITCHEN family who lived (& some of whom may still live!) in Sheffield. Some of the family moved away from the area & contact has now been lost. My KITCHEN family moved to Sheffield about the end of the 18th Century from Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire. They lived mainly in the Cricket Inn Road & Maltravers Road area.

Which decade, or in my case (I like the Victorian stuff), which Century ? Location, Street address/district ? :huh:

Guest skeets

Hi There was a Mr Kitchen a builders iromonger, he had a shop off the Wicker in Sheffield in the war years but don't know of any family Cheers Arthur.

Hi,

Im not sure if its going to be any help to you after all thsi time and its not quite the area of Sheffield you were looking for - but I have the Kitchen surname in my tree and sending you this in case it ties in anywhere for you.

George Kitchen b 1863 married Mary Luttrell b 1861 ish

children:

Ellen Luttrell B 1886-1888

Mary Kitchen b 1888

Ernest Kitchen b 1890

Mary Kitchen b 1892

Amy Kitchen b 1893

Loiusa Kitchen b 1895

On 1901 census they were living at 48 White Croft, Sheffield.

Karen

Guest peteincumbria

Hello All,

I've not really progressed on this since my original posting over 5 years ago. I have little more information. the move to Sheffield of the Kitchen family may have been mid to late 19th C. Both old family homes at 262 Cricket Inn Road & 53 Maltravers Road have now been demolished. If anyone has pictures of these roads as they were I would love to have copies or at least see them.

Currently I am trying to find the church my parents were married in September 1939. This was the Parish Church of St Alban, Darnall (I think!). Does it still exist? There seems to be a chapel called St Alban but is this the same place?

Any help......

Baptisms from Sheffield Indexers:

KITCHEN, Beatrice Glenolva (of 53 Maltravers Rd, born 1901-10-03).

Baptised October 30, 1901, by H.F. Greenwood at St Johns, Park.

Parents name(s) are Mary Ellen & Percival Ernest (Ice Merchant).

KITCHEN, Eva Doris (of 53 Maltravers Rd, born 1897-08-11).

Baptised September 15, 1897, by H.F. Greenwood at St John's, Park.

Parents name(s) are Mary Ellen & Percival Ernest (Drayman).

KITCHEN, Leonard (of 53 Maltravers Rd, born 1904-05-12).

Baptised June 22, 1904, by S.R. Butterton at St John's, Park.

Parents name(s) are Mary Ellen & Percival Ernest (Ice Dealer).

KITCHEN, Mildred Evelyn (of 53 Maltravers Rd, born 1901-00-00).

Baptised June 28, 1901, by Angus MacDonald at St John's, Park.

Parents name(s) are Mary Ellen & Percival Ernest (Drayman).

KITCHEN, William Cyril (of 53 Maltravers Rd, born 1899-03-17).

Baptised October 2, 1899, by H.F. Greenwood at St John's, Park.

Parents name(s) are Mary Ellen & Percival Ernest (Ice Manufacturer).

KITCHEN, Ida (of 262 Cricket Rd, born 1905-11-03).

Baptised December 20, 1905, by H.F. Greenwood at St John's, Park.

Parents name(s) are Mary Ellen & Percival Ernest (Ice Merchant).

Trade Directories:

Kitchen, Percival Ernest (, Ice dealer).

Residing at 262 Cricket Inn Road, Park, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield &Rotherham.

Kitchen, Percival Ernest (, Ice dealer).

Residing at 262 Cricket Inn Road, Park, in 1911.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.

KITCHEN, Percival Ernest (~, Carting Contractor).

Residing at 262 Cricket Inn Road, Park, ~ in 1925.

Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly’s Directory.

1911 Census (Ice Dealer):

1901 Census (Fish Merchants Assistant):

1891 Census - Percy left home - not found, but father William is now in Laughton-en-le Morthen:

1881 Census - living with father William, a gamekeeper in Firbeck:

William in action - in court 1872:

Still going strong in 1879:

Firbeck baptisms here list 5 Kitchens:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/FirbeckBaptisms1870-1879.html

A 1903 advert for the Carting business:

Park Hill, Firbeck, the residence of Col. John St Leger (yes, THAT St Leger), still has a grade 2 listed ice-house in its grounds. Maybe young Percy worked there, hence his Ice Manufacturing business in later years?

Some information about other children of William Kitchen who were in Rotherham can be found here:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/IRL-SLIGO/2012-09/1347293138

As regards your parents marriage in 1939, the chuch was rebuilt in the 1980's , its demise in the blitz is noted here: http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/13370-coleford-road-darnall/

It was destroyed just a few months after their marriage. According to the Sheffield Indexers the marriage records are held on the premises, so maybe a phone call if you're not local? (The Revd Pete Whittingham The Vicarage, 25 Industry Road, Darnall, Sheffield S95FP and is probably on tel 01142490779 - though this phone is for the Church of Christ, Darnall)

On 05/10/2013 at 18:10, Guest peteincumbria said:

Hello All,

I've not really progressed on this since my original posting over 5 years ago. I have little more information. the move to Sheffield of the Kitchen family may have been mid to late 19th C. Both old family homes at 262 Cricket Inn Road & 53 Maltravers Road have now been demolished. If anyone has pictures of these roads as they were I would love to have copies or at least see them.

Currently I am trying to find the church my parents were married in September 1939. This was the Parish Church of St Alban, Darnall (I think!). Does it still exist? There seems to be a chapel called St Alban but is this the same place?

Any help......

Hi, Are your parents Sidney and Joyce kitchen? My Nan was Doris major (nee kitchen) 

My mum Barbara has many photos of your parents. Gillian