Wierd spoons!

Guest RogerO

Guest RogerO

_.JPG]I joined this site because I had just retuned from buying a few bits at an antique fair and was trying to find out what one strange piece was - It was the same piece described in an earlier thread as "unusual" - made by Wraggs of Harwood Road and identified as a button cleaning aid - interesting - is that definitive?

The point of this topic is my very wierd set of 6 small spoons! NOBODY incuding all the many spoon dealers, inc. the one I bought them from some time ago, have any idea what they are or what they were used for! They are very similar to the ordinary coffee spoons with a coffee bean on the end of the handle shaft. Except these have instead a small red bulb shape (cherry?) apparently made of red rubber and now hardened and cracked. The wierdest bit however is that the tips of the bowls are turned up! This has NOT just been done with a pair of pliers - it is clear that they were made this way! - But why? for what purpose? I attach a few pics. If anyone out there has an idea or indeed KNOWs exactly what they are would be very gratefull

Many thanks

Roger