Tinsley Tram Sheds

Guest transit

Guest transit

When the open days are known it will be posted on here - we could get a photo of you next to the locks at tinsley

Thanks for that Busman! - unfortunately I don't have the same slimline figure or amount of hair due to passage of time etc - so would probably be anonymous !!!!!! BTW shouldn't you be watching BBC Four now ? ;-)

Guest bus man

i would if I could get it , and why are you on here you should be watching , in fact at your time of life you should be in bed sleeping

Guest bus man

i would if I could get it , and why are you on here you should be watching , in fact at your time of life you should be in bed sleeping

Guest transit
... i see you was looking at the time of reply!!!and just to remind you ...you are a couple or three years older, so i will forgive you this senior moment!!!!!BTW i taped the whole four hours of Routemaster featured programmes,so i can watch when wide -awake! How you getting on with your vast collection of photos---hope you manage to get them all downloaded so we can all look!!! Joking aside , i have the utmost respect for you as i have known you 30+ years and appreciate all the work and knowledge you have concerning the local bus scene(and railways) both present and preserved .Thanks busman ...(hope this saves me another embarrasing pic!) :unsure:

Guest bus man

Definatley not iam hvaing probs geting them onto digital but i do have one of the pmt atlantean in the bus staiton with a long haired lay about stood next to it - wunder who it is - thank you for the comments creeping wont work . God knowing you 30 years

Guest gareth388

So now that the Tram Sheds are fully occupied once more, wouldn't it be a great event if someone was to restore the Tram Sheds to their former Glory over a period of time. For example, they could be restored to a condition they would have been during during Tramway Operation,say 1950.

When complete, it could be opened a a tourist attraction, and coupled with the buses that are there, would be quite a nice package.

There are some things that are inpractical to do, put the potential is huge here!

any views?

Guest gareth388

Thanks for the picture bus man. For those of you who may wish to know, the Dominator to the right is 2249. The white fleetline over one of the inspection pits is WYPTE 7140. We are up to around 45 vehicles in the Tram Sheds at the time of writing with another 17 to come before the end of the month. Busy we certainly are!

Go and take pictures now....I think we're going to loose this one!

Back in March 2008 it was thought Tinsley Tram sheds were in danger, I have not read anything further, is the museum open now?

Guest bus man

The musuem is not open purley because they are not ready to open they still havent got sorted out. Not sure but think the tile place is still open isnt it

Guest gareth388

The musuem is not open purley because they are not ready to open they still havent got sorted out. Not sure but think the tile place is still open isnt it

Hello Everyone. The Tile Depot is indeed still open, and shows no signs of closing. Its a good site for them, and they like trading from there.

I think the danger of the Tram Sheds being demolished has passed, and I think that they will be there for some time to come.

The Museum is not open yet, like Bus Man says, because we are simply not ready. The reasons are two fold - the main one is health and safety - getting the place in a fit enough state to allow the general public round, and the other is the vehicles. We need to have a fair amount to show, and for people to ride on.

The collection we have now is great - almost one of every type that the SYPTE had, plus quite a nice cross section of vehicles of all ages from other operators. The problem is, when we get them, they are almost without exeption vehicles that require huge amounts of work to make roadworthy and presentable. There is a great deal of work going on behind the scenes at the moment.

The first Open Day will be a large dual site event, with a free bus service, and visiting vehicles etc. I will post on this site when the date of the first Open Day is finally announced. I will ensure that the day will be one to remember! :)

Guest gareth388

The South Yorkshire Transport Trust have just annouced their plans for the Tinsley Tram Depot.

They have been planning the project for some time, and have now been given the opportunity to buy the entire depot, and restore the building, and open the finished project as a new Museum.

The whole building will be sympathetically restored, and opened as a Museum in its own right, with the added dimension of the SYTT vehicle collection within, running alongside the Tram Depot Project.

The project is being launched, to create support for the plans, and to start to raise the necessary funds to kick start the project.

More details of the project can be found on the SYTT website www.sytt.webeden.co.uk. Click on the link on the Home Page which will direct you to the Tinsley Tram Depot Website.

On the website, in the 'contact us' page, you can down load a 12 page brochure containing the details of the project.

Guest transit

The South Yorkshire Transport Trust have just annouced their plans for the Tinsley Tram Depot.

They have been planning the project for some time, and have now been given the opportunity to buy the entire depot, and restore the building, and open the finished project as a new Museum.

The whole building will be sympathetically restored, and opened as a Museum in its own right, with the added dimension of the SYTT vehicle collection within, running alongside the Tram Depot Project.

The project is being launched, to create support for the plans, and to start to raise the necessary funds to kick start the project.

More details of the project can be found on the SYTT website www.sytt.webeden.co.uk. Click on the link on the Home Page which will direct you to the Tinsley Tram Depot Website.

On the website, in the 'contact us' page, you can down load a 12 page brochure containing the details of the project.

....absolutely brilliant news ! - i just hope the vision becomes reality. Good Luck in this truly deserving cause, which i know would benefit people for generations to come.

Guest bus man

....absolutely brilliant news ! - i just hope the vision becomes reality. Good Luck in this truly deserving cause, which i know would benefit people for generations to come.

They need luck AND DONATIONS

Guest gareth388

... and surely a sizeable Heritage Lottery Grant must be a possibility ?

Yes, it is - much of what we want to do is eligable for funding. We have submitted a pre-appliclation, and the result was very positive and encouraging. We are due to meet them very soon to discuss the project further.

The fact that the building is Grade 2 listed also helps greatly here. The project fits very well into the criteria that the HLF have set out.

Its not an over night fix of course, but we are moving closer to our goal. - The end result will be superb!

Guest gareth388

Yes, it is - much of what we want to do is eligable for funding. We have submitted a pre-appliclation, and the result was very positive and encouraging. We are due to meet them very soon to discuss the project further.

The fact that the building is Grade 2 listed also helps greatly here. The project fits very well into the criteria that the HLF have set out.

Its not an over night fix of course, but we are moving closer to our goal. - The end result will be superb!

Hello all,

To assist us with the process of applying for various grants for the Tram Depot Project, we need to know what you all think of the project. We have just launched an online survey, so could you take a few moments to fill in the survey? On the welcome page of both the main SYTT website and the Tram Depot Project site, there is a link to the survey. Just answer the few simple questions and click on 'Submit'.

Many Thanks in advance.

The websites are SYTT My link

and

Tram Depot My link