Stone House

RichardB

Yeah, I was in a Pub in Sheffield in the 70's, can't remember where it was, Town Centre. Black painted ceiling with Stars ... I got it in 10 seconds; anyone any idea ?

And why is it so poorly represented in Trade Directories ?

Guest carlie167

Yeah, I was in a Pub in Sheffield in the 70's, can't remember where it was, Town Centre. Black painted ceiling with Stars ... I got it in 10 seconds; anyone any idea ?

Think it was The Stonehouse, Church St. I loved it in there. :) :)

... we identify the inn long known to have stood next the "Old Stone House" as the " Blue Bell," and are able to associate it with the name of Amory.

The property is described as in the High Street, near unto the Market Place, called and commonly known by the name of the "Blue Bell," heretofore in the possession of Benjamin Crofts, a grocer, the owner, from whom William Brookes bought it (1751), and successively occupied by

Thomas Bland,

George Amory,

Thomas Amory (his son),

Phyllis Amory (Thomas's widow),

Timothy Millington (I797),

and Joseph Law.

In I827-28 it is spoken of as formerly called the " Blue Bell," but since used as liquor vaults by

Messrs. Ward and Bawer, and then by Mr. George Bawer, in his business of a spirit merchant. The site of this became

in later times the "Clarence Hotel." It is now (1905) included in Mr John Walsh's premises.

When Gosling's plan was made in 1736, neither Mulberry Street nor Change Alley was in existence. All was gardens from the backs of the High Street houses to Alsop Fields (aferwards Norfolk Street).

A deed of 1786 shows that some time previously the garden formerly adjoining Ralph Elmsall's (the "Old Stone House ") had been let off in pieces for building, when part of it is 'now used as a street'

----------------------------

Edited highlights from :

http://youle.info/history/fh_material/18C_sheffield/ch13.txt

********************************************************************************

* This out of copyright material has been transcribed by Eric Youle, who has *

* provided the transcription on condition that any further copying and *

* distribution of the transcription is allowed only for noncommercial *

* purposes, and includes this statement in its entirety. Any references to, *

* or quotations from, this material should give credit to the original *

* author(s) or editors. *

********************************************************************************

Leader (1905)

Guest tsavo

Typical! Looking for the Aberdeen House pub and found this instead. Brings back a few memories.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s21638

Guest carlie167

Typical! Looking for the Aberdeen House pub and found this instead. Brings back a few memories.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s21638

Great photo, but what was the name of the little shop inside that sold watches, ( well not sure if it was an actual shop or just a frontage, but it had a name over it). Oh what was it now?? <_< <_<