Barrel/Fagans

RichardB

The Barrel was renamed Fagans in 1985 to honour Joe Fagans 37 year service at the Barrel, so, in a typically RichardB type way "Which Sheffield Pub did his Father run ?"

I will try .. Royal Oak 11 Hollis Croft, run by Michael Fagan?

That's not what I have, but you have me interested .... What year do you have for that please ? Any more details, source ?

I'll leave the answer open, see if there are other guesses.

I will try .. Royal Oak 11 Hollis Croft, run by Michael Fagan?

The name is certainly correct, hopefully you've come across a new posting for the man !

The name is certainly correct, hopefully you've come across a new posting for the man !

I found it in one of your posts .. :mellow:

Further details regarding The Royal Oak and its people :

First Last Occupation Address Directory Year

Joseph STEER Vict. Royal Oak Hollis Croft Baine's 1822

Yates ST. JOHN Taverns & Public Houses (Royal Oak) Hollis Croft Pigot's 1828

Peter SLACK vict. Royal Oak 2 Hollis Croft White's 1833

Peter SLACK Vict. Royal Oak Hollis Croft Pigot's 1841

James NEWBOULD Vict. Royal Oak PH 11 Hollis Croft Kelly's 1893

Thomas WELTON Vict. Royal Oak 11 Hollis Croft White's 1911

Thomas MCNAMARA Vict. Royal Oak 11 Hollis Croft White's 1919

Michael FAGAN Victualler,Royal Oak 11 Hollis Croft Kelly's 1925

Richard do you have a pub called the Black Dog in your lists.

No Black Dog; got a Black Darling, but no Black Dog, please tell...

It's in the West Bar-Spring Street area, I'm sure i wrote it down somewhere but as usual can't find it, will have to trawl the census's again.

It's in the West Bar-Spring Street area, I'm sure i wrote it down somewhere but as usual can't find it, will have to trawl the census's again.

Thank you, most kind.

I found it in one of your posts .. :mellow:

This means, of course, I've got to trawl back through all my own old Pub postings, from before I put the list together .... never mind Admin promised to tell me how to view an entire thread ... actually he said he'd look ... about 4 months ago lol

My problem is I made about 1,000 posts, mainly Pubs, before starting the list, so I'm now lumbered with cross-referencing my current list with stuff I posted anything up to a year ago - recent finds go straight on the list ... obviously ... I'm not that dumb, or am i ? lol

The Barrel was renamed Fagans in 1985 to honour Joe Fagans 37 year service at the Barrel, so, in a typically RichardB type way "Which Sheffield Pub did his Father run ?"

It was either the Red House or The Royal Oak. Joe Fagan was a great friend of my Dad they were in the Army together. I remember my Dad calling the Barrell Fagans long before it officially changed to that name and the current Landlord Tom Boulding was my English teacher at school.

It was either the Red House or The Royal Oak. Joe Fagan was a great friend of my Dad they were in the Army together. I remember my Dad calling the Barrell Fagans long before it officially changed to that name and the current Landlord Tom Boulding was my English teacher at school.

Welcome and Great Posting.

Of course Michael Fagan ran more than one Pub ...

Michael FAGAN Victualler,Royal Oak 11 Hollis Croft Kelly's 1925

and Bridge Inn 5 Bridge Street 1951

are just the ones we know about, there's a big gap in my records from 1925-1951, barely any information at all, he could have had others.