Suffragettes

HughW

Not sure what section this would fit into, so feel free to move it (maybe there should be a 'social history' section)...

I would like to find out more about Mrs Higgins. I thought she might an Alice Higgins buried in Walkley Cemetery, but I now know she can't be.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph

4 Apr 1907 page 8 column b

SHEFFIELD SUFFRAGETTES

Home From London Prison

NO CROWD TO WELCOME THEM

Sheffield was quite indifferent last evening when the two local Suffragettes returned home from prison. Mrs. Higgins and Mrs. Lockwood were two of the ladies imprisoned for the last raid upon the House of Commons. They were liberated from Holloway Gaol yesterday morning, and reached Sheffield by Midland train in the evening.

Instead of the big cheering crowd that might have been expected to honour them, there were only two persons: another Suffragette (Mrs. Whitworth) and a small boy.

"We expected a big crowd," said Mrs. Whitworth, in disappointed tones. "People must have got the wrong train in their minds," she added. The women embraced one another, and passed out of the station unnoticed by the travelling crowd, although the "Votes for Women" badge was observable. Mrs. Higgins hails from the Walkley district, and Mrs. Lockwood's home is at Darnall. Neither looked any the worse for her incarceration, and both remarked that they were feeling quite as well as when they were arrested.

Before leaving London the women were interviewed by one of our representatives there. Asked how she liked prison, Mrs. Higgins replied, "Oh, it's all right, and might have been very much worse."

"Yes, I was surprised that it was not worse," interposed Mrs. Lockwood. Mrs. Higgins said if she had to go again she would ask for hard labour, for practically the worst feature of prison life was to be kept so lonely with nothing at all to do.

Describing their entry into the prison both the Sheffielders complained of the manner in which they were treated. "We were placed in a cell with seven others and kept there without food for hours.

"Then," said Mrs. Higgins, "We only got an apology for cocoa and some tinned Chicago. The ventilation was terrible, and I fainted and had to be taken out."

Mrs. Lockwood said they were not removed until one o'clock in the morning, having been in there nearly half a day. "I would have gone out of my mind if I had had to stay in there much longer," she added.

They were then placed in separate cells, "which are not quite so bad, although they also were very stuffy."

All the prisoners were called at about six o'clock in the morning, and after scrubbing the floors, cleaning their cans, and making their beds, breakfast was provided at 7 o'clock. Brown bread, a little butter, and very little tea, was, according to Mrs. Higgins, what breakfast consisted of. Both agreed that the breakfast was very bad, also that the tea was "awful," but they agreed that the butter was very nice. The tea tasted just as though they had boiled the leaves and the water together, said Mrs. Higgins.

After breakfast they were all taken to Chapel each morning. "It did us little good, but we welcomed it because it gave us an opportunity of seeing each other, and also of giving our cells a chance to get aired."

Chapel over, the prisoners were taken to the prison yard for exercise, which consisted of walking round and round the yard. They were forbidden to speak to each other, "but, of course, we managed to do so now and again," said Mrs. Higgins.

Both Mrs. Higgins and Mrs. Lockwood were caught speaking and were pulled up by the wardresses shouting "Now then 23," and "now 6," which were their respective prison numbers.

The dinner was not always the same. Some days they got lentil soup, potatoes boiled in their jackets; other days tinned meat and a slab of suet pudding. "Horrid stuff," was the way Mrs. Higgins described the meat and the pudding.

Mrs. Lockwood preferred the vegetarian diet, and for dinner got a pint of milk, an egg, carrots, and a little cob of brown bread. One day she got some cauliflower, and another day sprouts were given to her. Neither of them liked their food. They agreed that the "stuff" generally was not palatable.

Throughout the afternoon the prisoners had nothing to do and this was to Mrs. Higgins the worst part of all. She felt miserable and very lonely. Books were provided, and she got papers sent into her by her friends in the Women's Social and Political Union, but the time dragged terribly.

The only other meal after dinner was made up of cocoa and bread. Both expressed the opinion that many of the wardresses were nice, but there were a number who were very haughty and inhuman.

One asked Mrs. Lockwood where she came from, and when told Sheffield, replied, "You ought to stop there."

"I was naturally very annoyed, but did not get time to reply," said Mrs. Lockwood.

All the prisoners managed to communicate with friends in cells on either side of them by knocking on the walls.

The two Sheffielders were amongst the first arrested, and were members of the party which took the policemen by surprise, and nearly succeeded in entering the House. They drove up in waggonettes, and, according to Mrs. Higgins, tried to pass themselves off as tourists. They first looked through the Abbey just to bluff the police, and then made a dash for the House.

Mrs. Lockwood said she was very badly treated by one constable, who pushed her violently, and had she not collided with a crowd of women she would surely have fallen to the ground and hurt herself.

Hugh

I found this highly entertaining, I've tweaked it a little to show what I found amusing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheffield Daily Telegraph

4 Apr 1907 page 8 column b

SHEFFIELD SUFFRAGETTES

Home From London Prison

NO CROWD TO WELCOME THEM

Sheffield was quite indifferent last evening when the two local Suffragettes returned home from prison. Mrs. Higgins and Mrs. Lockwood were two of the ladies imprisoned for the last raid upon the House of Commons.

Instead of the big cheering crowd that might have been expected to honour them, there were only two persons – another Suffragette (Mrs. Whitworth) and a small boy.

Describing their entry into the prison both the Sheffielders complained of the manner in which they were treated. “We were placed in a cell with seven others and kept there without food for hours".

“Then,” said Mrs. Higgins, “We only got an apology for cocoa and some tinned Chicago. The ventilation was terrible, and I fainted and had to be taken out.”

“I would have gone out of my mind if I had had to stay in there much longer,” she added.

They were placed in separate cells, “which are not quite so bad, although they also were very stuffy.”

Breakfast was provided at 7 o’clock. Brown bread, a little butter, and very little tea, was, according to Mrs. Higgins, what breakfast consisted of. Both agreed that the breakfast was very bad, also that the tea was “awful,” but they agreed that the butter was very nice. The tea tasted just as though they had boiled the leaves and the water together, said Mrs. Higgins.

After breakfast they were all taken to Chapel each morning. “It did us little good, but we welcomed it because it gave us an opportunity of seeing each other, and also of giving our cells a chance to get aired.”

The dinner was not always the same. Some days they got lentil soup, potatoes boiled in their jackets; other days tinned meat and a slab of suet pudding. “Horrid stuff,” was the way Mrs. Higgins described the meat and the pudding.

Mrs. Lockwood preferred the vegetarian diet, and for dinner got a pint of milk, an egg, carrots, and a little cob of brown bread. One day she got some cauliflower, and another day sprouts were given to her. Neither of them liked their food. They agreed that the “stuff” generally was not palatable.

The only other meal after dinner was made up of cocoa and bread.

All the prisoners managed to communicate with friends in cells on either side of them by breaking wind in the fashion of Morse Code.

---------------------------------

Good job they weren't kept in any longer, the following days menu consisted of :

Pickled Eggs and Roll Mop Herring for Breakfast

Chicken Curry and Lime Pickle for Lunch

Kebab with Chilli AND Garlic

Boiled Cabbage and Sprout water available all day !!!

Prison diet is in fact responsible for global warming

Sheffield Star 21 Mar 1907 page 4

Mrs Higgins, according to the Times, was called Annie and lived in Walkley Street. Mrs Lockward was Jane, aged 24 in 1907 and lived in Main Road, Darnall.

Hugh :)

Prison diet is in fact responsible for global warming

Sheffield Star 21 Mar 1907 page 4

Mrs Higgins, according to the Times, was called Annie and lived in Walkley Street. Mrs Lockward was Jane, aged 24 in 1907 and lived in Main Road, Darnall.

Hugh :)

I thought of these two when I saw this photo (from 1910) in the Times yesterday 29th of July .

Obviously these suffragettes were very dangerous women - 7 policemen to one woman. I wonder how many it took to restrain the Sheffield women?