Horrible Looking Buildings

Stuart0742

Telephone Exchange building, near roundabout, near Milton Street. Previously posted as 'orrible, apparently it won awards.

OoO and MSC building (as it was when built), big 'orrible pyramid, bottom of the Moor.

OoO and the entire Moor, at least they have an excuse (1940 and all that).

I don't know this building.

Castle Market, Haymarket, all of High Street, Arundel Gate, Pond Street, Crucible, Furnival Gate ...

One storey high, unfinished concrete and looks like an old failed air raid shelter...after the raid!

Not sounding particularly appealing ...

- The Grosvenor Hotel... what a grubby looking eyesore...

- BT Telephone House (?) and the NCP carpark underneath it...

- Most of the Moor... although I'm not too fussed about Moorfoot itself, I don't think it's such a bad looking building... different story inside however - my wife works there and I've been in plenty of times... its a dark horrible little maze, infested with mice!

I think the area around the top of Snig Hill needs a serious makover - The whole lot even, from the Police Head Quarters right up to and including The fiesta/dodgey Barry's

One I always see but it never sticks in my mind - the National Grid substation building at the bottom of Charter Row!

It's absolutely horrible, but as soon as you've seen it you tend to forget it exists lol

One I always see but it never sticks in my mind - the National Grid substation building at the bottom of Charter Row!

It's absolutely horrible, but as soon as you've seen it you tend to forget it exists lol

Pretty bad, I'd agree, but it won a national architectural award when first built!

The restaurant at the corner of Ecclesall Road and Hickmott Road seems to be making a serious attempt at winning this title. Not quite finished yet, but watch this space!

Guest SheffBlade

Not sure if you can really call it a 'building' but I can't stand the Hubs (former national centre for popular music or whatever the hell it was called!)

I must have a good look around next time I am in Sheffield.

Can anyone provide images of some of these paragons of hideousness so I can look out for and/or avoid them.

Here's the one on Ecclesall Rd /Hickmott Rd. Doesn't seem quite so garish now, the colours must have toned down a bit, or maybe I've just got used to it!

Anything that looks remotely like this horrible pile of plastic on Savile street.

Now that looks truly dreadful to me. I used to make multi-coloured boxes with Lego bricks many years ago, but I was a child at the time. Grown ups really should know better

Yes we went past the new Tesco yesterday and could not believe our eyes! What a monstrosity and our planning dept. & council allowed it!!!!!!!!! Proof if anything of their insanity.

Lyn

Yes we went past the new Tesco yesterday and could not believe our eyes! What a monstrosity and our planning dept. & council allowed it!!!!!!!!! Proof if anything of their insanity.

Lyn

When you look at some of the developments the planners have allowed, it's doubly worrying that the Government want to make it even easier for developers to get planning permission!

It HAS to be the new Q-Park, hideous, just plain hideous!!!

Not shown finished on Google street view, but you get the idea!

Ah, - what a wonderful building. lol

Known affectionately as "The Cheese Grater", if you are looking at it from fairly close up or "The Sugar Cube" if you are looking at it from some distance away to the south with the sun shining and reflecting on it in the right direction (half way up East bank Road is a good viewpoint for this).

The building is a work of modern art which is actually better than most pieces of modern art.