1871 Pubs and Beerhouses

RichardB

Some of you will know I've been working on a list of Pubs and their Landlords/Landladies and stuff for quite a while now (ask the Wifelette ...), and quite recently I've become obsessed with 1871.

That's right, spend hundreds of pounds on data disks then fall in love with a free download you found on the net ...

Anyway, the question no one dared ask, in case I snarled is :

Approximately how many Pubs and Beerhouses were there in 1871 then Bigboy ?

The answer is ...

? <Boo, Hiss, Get on with it etc etc>

There are many answers to this difficult question

According to one source, in 1873 (nearest data there is) there were the following :

Inns and Hotels 559

Beerhouses "Off" 603

Beerhouses "On" 380

Giving a total of 1,542 !!!!

Making a bold assumption that Beer-Offs are likely to just be listed as a house address with no name, as such, and we're not likely to find them, or indeed know the span of years they were functioning. Blah, Blah, drone, drone etc etc.

Anyway, I have a list, for 1871 specifically, which will include some duplicate entries; who the Heck knows that New George Street and Boston Street were one and the same place ? (OK Smartie-Pants, if you knew that I bet you don't know all the others, Buggered if I can claim to know). And indeed that some places have changed names, sometime multiple times. Blah, Blah, drone, drone etc etc.

The answer is : 933

Now your next question is either :

What's a "Beer-on" and a "Beer-Off" ? In which case, I will ignore you and hope someone else can fill in the important definitions.

OR :

Where's the data then ?

This will be issued soon, probably the first bit will be the names of Pubs/Beerhouses that I don't have "Keepers" for, see if anyone can fill in the gaps.

933, that's a lot of Pubs, wouldn't have started if I'd known lol

Beer on: to be consumed on the premises, Beer off: to be consumed off the premises, or was this a trick question?

Hahahahahaha, not in the slightest, I was just waiting for someone to politely ask the question of me, so I could bite their head off !

SH Member : "RichardB, you've spent a year researching Sheffield Pubs and Beerhouses, put names of Landlords and Landladies and Beerhouse keepers to hundreds of premises, this has never been done before; it's a great piece of work. Could you tell me what a "Beer Off" and a "Beer On" are please ?"

RichardB : "AAAAARGHHHHH !!!!!<Snarl><Bite><Chew> etc etc

According to one source, in 1873 (nearest data there is) there were the following :

Inns and Hotels 559

Beerhouses "Off" 603

Beerhouses "On" 380

Giving a total of 1,542 !!!!

That was 1873, considering ONLY Inns and Hotels and Beer-Ons (No Beer-Offs) - were there more or less in total in 1883 than in 1873 ?

That was 1873, considering ONLY Inns and Hotels and Beer-Ons (No Beer-Offs) - were there more or less in total in 1893 than in 1883 ?

So that's 1873/1883 which had more Pubs and Beer-Ons ?

1883/1893 which had more Pubs and Beers-Ons ?

Extra marks for expanding on the reasoning for your answers, doesn't matter if they are correct; amusing answers score lots of points .... probably lol