Anyone heard of Blanche Maw ??

Guest Surreal

Guest Surreal

Hi,

Inspired by KnightsTemplars posting in another forum on SH I was looking in the loft and came across a large oil painting signed by Blanche Maw and dated 1901. Has anyone ever heard of her?

I've no idea who she is or if she is a local painter. The only things I know is that the painting was bought sometime in the 1970's from a local charity shop, and the only Blanche Maw I could find on the 1891 census (anywhere in the country) is Annie Blanche Maw who was residing on South Street, Sheffield. No idea if this is just a coincidence. Looking at the Maw surname on the National Trust Surnames site it appears to predominently a South Yorkshire surname.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

... and the only Blanche Maw I could find on the 1891 census (anywhere in the country) is Annie Blanche Maw who was residing on South Street, Sheffield ...

Hello and Welcome and stuff...

I've often been accused of operating on a different mental approach but I can't find your Annie Blanche Maw at all, but I did find one of my own !

Francis John Maw, 39

Catherine Maw, 35

AnnieBlanche Maw, 15,

John Whitehead Maw

87 Burngreave Road, Brightside Bierlow (Wicker Trinity), can't make out the address properly ... Elwess Place, Elvis uh-uhh lol

(1891)

Francis John Maw, 39

Catherine Maw, 35

AnnieBlanche Maw, 15,

John Whitehead Maw

87 Burngreave Road, Brightside Bierlow (Wicker Trinity), can't make out the address properly ... Elwess Place, Elvis uh-uhh lol

Imaginative indexing in 1901..

1901 census index

Frances J Maud 49 ...

Catherine Maud 45

Agnes B Maud 25

John W Maud 23 Coal Mine Labourer

MAW family site says

address: 26 Crabtree Lane, Pitsmoor Christchurch

occupation of Francis: Assistant Secretary Steel Manufact Co

occupation of John W.: Coal Mine Surveyor

MI Grave D92/93 Walkley Cemetery

To the dear memory of / CATHARINE / the beloved wife of / FRANCIS MAW (of Crabtree) / who was taken to her rest Sep 27th 1909 / aged 53 years / “Blessed are the pure in heart / For they shall see God” / Also of the above named / FRANCIS MAW / who entered into rest March 1st 1913 / aged 61 years / “I shall be satisfied when I awake / with thy likeness”

Now, what was the question ? lol

There is a Thesis/Dissertation in the Local studies Libaray which lists lots of information about Sheffield artists in the 19th century (hazy about the dates) which may be worth looking at.

Hugh

Guest Surreal

Thanks All,

I'll take a look at the thesis at the local studies. If I find anything to explain who Blanche could possible be I'll post the info.

Cheers.

Guest Johan Lauwens

Hi,

There are not that many Blanche's around. I have the index of all births, marriages and deaths for all Maw's from 1837 until 2005.

There is no death for any Blanche Maw in that period, so that excludes someone who isn't listed yet. In other words, there seems to have been no Blanche who married a Maw and all Blanche Maw got married and would have been listed at death under their new surname.

That leaves just these who were born before 1901 as Blanche Maw but married after 1901, unless the artist would have continued using her maiden name:

- Blanche Maw, born 1884, married to Bailey or Peters in 1904 (district Sheffield) http://family-maw.co.uk/tree/getperson.php...89&tree=Maw

- Blanche Maw, born 1895 (would only have been 6 when she painted an oil painting?), who married in 1919 to Thomas Campey (Glanford Brigg) http://family-maw.co.uk/tree/getperson.php...98&tree=Maw

There are of course also a few who have a second name Blanche:

- Maw, Annie Blanche

http://family-maw.co.uk/tree/getperson.php...47&tree=Maw

- Maw, Edith Blanche

http://family-maw.co.uk/tree/getperson.php...25&tree=Maw

Do you have further information that could be helpful?

Finally, we are interested in any information related to "Maw" and would be very pleased if we could have a picture of the painting.

Best regards,

Johan Lauwens

Judy Lauwens (née Maw)

Guest moorsnut

Hi

Annie Blanche Maw was my Great Aunt and I have recently come across several watercolours which she painted.

John Whitehead Maw was Blanche's brother & my grandfather.

Blanche lived at The Priory in Ecclesfield in her later years and I believe she did several paintings in that area.

Hope you like the picture you found.

Regards

Richard Webb