Blitz damage Campo Lane

Guest tsavo

Think this may explain what happened to the flats on Campo Lane. This shot looks toward Vicar Lane.

This one I haven't identified, but the large building at the top may give a clue. Anyone recognise it? Possibly the bottom of the Moor?

Guest plain talker

on the lower picture, it makes me think of two areas:-

The office-y looking building on the right looks very like the office block on West Street, opposite the Jobcentre.

However it also makes me think of the tenement buildings on Shalesmoor, before you hit the Ship Pub, (opposite Harrolds locksmiths)

If that is West Street (I assume you meant that) and we're facing away from the city centre, the building on the extreme left would be Carver Street Methodist Church. will have a wander through Picture Sheffield and see if I can find a match for that. Good thought, Plain Talker!

Check this out from Picture Sheffield. Might be......?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s05016

Right area I'm sure, but I think the original blitz photo is looking down Rockingham Street from West Street towards Division Street. That would make the building rear left the Methodist Church, and the higher building with the 2 chimney stacks what I still think of as the Gremlin building on Carver Street.

Mmmmmm.....not totally convinced. There may be just a short length of tram lines in the bottom right corner, partially covered in debris. The undamaged building (top right) could be the Inland Revenue or Tax Office on West St. Just can't remember if that had that many floors. I'm probably wrong but the road seems too level to be Rockingham St, which I seem to remember ran down away from West St. Must admit I'm enjoying this one, but it's a long time since I walked down Rockingham Street!

The lower pic is certainly West St and the building hit is where the Disability Shop used to be next door to CLC. The building in the background is Rockingham House showing the corner with Rockingham St, I recognise it well as I was the building manager there for many years.

Mmmmmm.....not totally convinced. There may be just a short length of tram lines in the bottom right corner, partially covered in debris. The undamaged building (top right) could be the Inland Revenue or Tax Office on West St. Just can't remember if that had that many floors. I'm probably wrong but the road seems too level to be Rockingham St, which I seem to remember ran down away from West St. Must admit I'm enjoying this one, but it's a long time since I walked down Rockingham Street!

But Rockingham Street crosses West Street. The part running down to Broad Lane falls away quite quickly, but the other side of West street it's quite level for some way.

Having said that I've just had another look at the photo, and you may be right about the tram lines. Together with Mike's comments, I'm not really sure any more!

But Rockingham Street crosses West Street. The part running down to Broad Lane falls away quite quickly, but the other side of West street it's quite level for some way.

Having said that I've just had another look at the photo, and you may be right about the tram lines. Together with Mike's comments, I'm not really sure any more!

Multimap

Try this link to multimap

With the Rd lines removed (click on the button at the side of the "Birds Ey" button) you can compare this to the blitz photo.

100% certain it is West St

Here is an elevated view of the two buildings on West St that I took in June 2002, mainly of Rockingham House but you can see the layout looking westward along West St. The roof of Baily Court Jobcentre of Full Monty fame can be seen on the right

Interestingly you can see the 'new' brick where the building that was bombed has been rebuilt. You can also see the 'rose' details on the front of the building that remain - and have been replaced in the new section.

This is a view taken from the same spot as the Rockingham House photo above but looking East, taking in the area of Photo 1 at the start of this thread which I've noticed includes what looks like a pond which think was the water store for the fire brigade to ensure a supply to fight the blitz with.

Quite a few landmarks for you all here.

Here is an elevated view of the two buildings on West St that I took in June 2002, mainly of Rockingham House but you can see the layout looking westward along West St. The roof of Baily Court Jobcentre of Full Monty fame can be seen on the right

Interestingly you can see the 'new' brick where the building that was bombed has been rebuilt. You can also see the 'rose' details on the front of the building that remain - and have been replaced in the new section.

Moving this on, are there any other buildings where you can still see either rebuild or repair work from the blitz.

Moving this on, are there any other buildings where you can still see either rebuild or repair work from the blitz.

Not really visible, but the big windows in the reference library on the corner of the building nearest the Winter Gardens are almost impossible to close properly due to being damaged by blast during the blitz.

Not really visible, but the big windows in the reference library on the corner of the building nearest the Winter Gardens are almost impossible to close properly due to being damaged by blast during the blitz.

It takes the council ages to sort things out these days!

Guest plain talker

If that is West Street (I assume you meant that) and we're facing away from the city centre, the building on the extreme left would be Carver Street Methodist Church. will have a wander through Picture Sheffield and see if I can find a match for that. Good thought, Plain Talker!

It looks as if we've successfully identified that building, too, then! :D

But, yes the building that housed Clarkes mobility shop, and CLC is definitely the building I thought of when I saw that pic, and the building opposite on the other corner of West street. and on the modern, aerial pic, you can also see the church hall that belonged to Carver Street Methodist church that's "peeking" from behind the bomb damage in the old pic.

Yaaaay! B) lol

Guest plain talker

The front of the City Hall had lots of patches on the entrance pillars, cant think of any others that are still standing.

not a building Per Se, but there's patching up on the main arch of the wicker arches viaduct where a bomb went straight through the structure.

and Sharrow Lane School was hit by a bomb, in WWII. The bottom half of the single-storey section which housed the infants school that fronted onto Sharrow lane had to be completely rebuilt. (The first house I lived in, when I got married, was directly opposite SLS, and the chimney had sustained damage in the blast)

I can't be certain of this one, but I'm sure I remember seeing photographs of "C&A modes" on High Street, after the Blitz with similar damage to the West Street pic, sustained at the same time as the Marples Pub was destroyed.

This is a view taken from the same spot as the Rockingham House photo above but looking East, taking in the area of Photo 1 at the start of this thread which I've noticed includes what looks like a pond which think was the water store for the fire brigade to ensure a supply to fight the blitz with.

Quite a few landmarks for you all here.

That 1st photo features in the Star publication "Sheffield Blitz" - apparently there was a static water tank like this one next to the City Hall and a bomb dropped directly into it cushioning the blast and causing no damage!