Brown Cow

RichardB

John Firth, Flour dealer, 27 Trippet Lane (Baine's 1822)

William Wild, beer house, 27 Trippet Lane (White's 1833)

Linder Fearnley, Vict. Brown Cow, 27 Trippet Lane (White's 1849)

John Harwood, Whitesmith & vict. Brown Cow, 37 Arundel Street & 27 Trippet Lane (White's 1852)

Samuel Calley, Chimney Sweeper, 27 Trippet Lane (White's 1852)

Mrs Ann Ball, Brown Cow, 27 Trippet Lane (Kelly's 1893)

So that's all fine and Dandy then :rolleyes:

But ...

In 1854, why is John Harwood/Hardwood running a Pub called Kossruth on Trippet Lane ? I think we should be told ... or, at least make an attempt to find out. Tough one, I'm struggling to re-find the details - and I know the answer (ish) !!!

Kossruth and 1854 are your starters for 10. Who/what/where/when is a Kossruth ?

Go for it SheffieldHistory.

Is it Kossruth or Kossuth the famous Hungarian poet Louis Kossuth?

Sue

Brilliant, Well Done !

Maybe it was Kossuth I found while searching, been looking since for Kossruth (which is what the pub was called, apparently...); now what's the Sheffield link ?

This is what I found

" I published Kossuth's oration on the "Independence of Poland," delivered in Sheffield, June, 1854; but his speeches on the "War in the East" and "The Alliance with Austria," delivered in Sheffield and Nottingham the same year, were "published by himself.""

taken from

search under Kossuth ;-)

Googled it and it came up with an alternative spelling

Easy peesy, next question, I usually can't answer your questions.

Sue

I do try, on occasions to ask questions (that can be answered) that are stinkers, I'm not the best at answering such questions myself, but, if I found 'em, I figure others, equally interested might like to have a go. Such questions take a lot of research, a lot of time and they are not to everyone's taste. My own interest in Sheffield History basically pre-dates my Father's birth in 1920.

You could see if you can find anything about the "African Prince" pub .... I believe I know something, would be nice if someone else came to a similar conclusion ...