John Sinclairs & Glossop Road

Guest hmarshmellow

Guest hmarshmellow

hi,

I'm doing a university project based on glossop road in the new sinclair building.

i really need some historical information on the site and the surrounding area of west street and glossop road.

if anyone knows anything at all it would be a really great help as i am really struggleing to find any info, particually on west street.

thanks =)

hi,

I'm doing a university project based on glossop road in the new sinclair building.

i really need some historical information on the site and the surrounding area of west street and glossop road.

if anyone knows anything at all it would be a really great help as i am really struggleing to find any info, particually on west street.

thanks =)

What did John Sinclair do ? Was he musical in any way ? What year are we talking ?

I know i could be wrong here but i seem to remember a shop by the same name that sold royal doulton and expensive figurines etc. It was across from what i think was Barclay's bank west st.

Guest hmarshmellow

I know i could be wrong here but i seem to remember a shop by the same name that sold royal doulton and expensive figurines etc. It was across from what i think was Barclay's bank west st.

yep thats the one, im guessing that john sinclair owned the shop,

the address in 262 glossop road, its that really new black brick building.

the sinclair building, it still has a china store in it as well as a bridal shop and tylor & taylor hairdresses.

i just need any info on the type of of shops etc that have been in that area in the past.

i have to write a historical context for the site as part of my researsh study.

preferably if there was a restaurant, cafe etc or anything food related as i am designing a (pretend) restaurant to go in the space and it would fit quite well.

Septimus BOOTH Cabinet Maker & Upholsterer 260 & 262 Glossop Road Kelly's 1893

Alfred LIVERSIDGE Fruiterer 262 Glossop Road White's 1911

Alfred LIVERSIDGE Fruiterer 262 Glossop Road White's 1919

Alfred LIVERSIDGE Fruiterer 262 Glossop Road Kelly's 1925

Don't know if this helps ....

Nowt to do with owt, but ...

John SINCLAIR Teacher of music 30 Empire Road White's 1911

John SINCLAIR Teacher of music 65 Empire Road White's 1919

John SINCLAIR Music teacher 131 Machon Bank Kelly's 1925

John SINCLAIR Professor of music 190 West Street Kelly's 1893

John SINCLAIR 60 Suffolk Road Kelly's 1893

Guest hmarshmellow

Fruiterer = one who sells fruits,

that food related!!!! yay

thats a great help

any idea about some of the other buildings round there, i no there was victoria markets which was pretty close so im gonna look more in to that

=)

Sure we have a picture of Victoria Market on here somewhere; if not, try PictureSheffield, I just post a lot of random stuff, Tsavo's the man with the brains in this outfit !!!

(Buck successfully passed Pal !)

West Street/Glossop Road ... Baths, Charles Clifford, Gell Street Barracks, Jessops up the Road, Leavygreave/Hendersons; Blind Institue - Mappin Street (?), Raven/Hornblower, Mrs Miggins Pie-Shoppe (I made this one up) ...

Guest hmarshmellow

i completely forgot about hendersons that will fit really wel too,

thanks loads for all your help

il go on a hunt round the site =)

Some places i remember on west st/Glossop rd, Kennings car hire, Limit night club and snooker hall, Tobacco wholesaler, killi's cleaning equipment, Optician, Antique shop, Post office. Forgive me if any of these are still there as im talking mainly 1970s. Also the famous (lol)Broomhall flats were very close.

Guest hmarshmellow

could you tell me where you get the info from to know what what shops etc where there befor because i will need to reference the for my dissertation and apparently uni wont accept person on forum as a valid ref!!!!!!!!

cheers

helen

And of course the Royal Hospital, where the Royal Plaza flats now stand.

There's a book in the library called 'From Bailey to Bailey' by Steven Johnson which will give you a history of the barracks and its associated buildings, commanding officer's house etc.

There's also a blue plaque on one of the university buildings near the top of Regent Street recording the fact that Samuel Plimsoll of the Plimsoll Line fame lived there, (on Regent Street I mean, not the Uni building)!

If memory serves me right, Sheffields first Wine bar opened in that area about 1975. I think it was on the corner of Regent Street and Glossop Road

I think it was called Barton's or was owned by someone of that name - he used to drive round town in an original 'big yellow taxi' which started it's life in New York City.

The wine bar very quickly became one of the places 'to be seen in' - closely followed by Mr Kites, just round the corner on Division Street

could you tell me where you get the info from to know what what shops etc where there befor because i will need to reference the for my dissertation and apparently uni wont accept person on forum as a valid ref!!!!!!!!

cheers

helen

Regarding the John Sinclair Shop it did sell "Royal Doulton" and the like and John Sinclair was the man who owned it, my daughter worked there in the 80s then moved to their other shop in Bakewell.

The Bakewell shop is still there so you may be able to get info about John Sinclair from the staff at that shop and he may give you info about the West street building.

just a thought.

could you tell me where you get the info from to know what what shops etc where there before because i will need to reference the for my dissertation and apparently uni wont accept person on forum as a valid ref!!!!!!!!

cheers

helen

http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

Genuki transcriptions (again, Trade Directories)

PictureSheffield (captions and reading signs on photos)

or Trade Directories, try www.historicaldirectories.org (not sure of exact link for that one), also Census records (but only up to 1901)

If memory serves me right, Sheffields first Wine bar opened in that area about 1975. I think it was on the corner of Regent Street and Glossop Road

I think it was called Barton's or was owned by someone of that name - he used to drive round town in an original 'big yellow taxi' which started it's life in New York City.

The wine bar very quickly became one of the places 'to be seen in' - closely followed by Mr Kites, just round the corner on Division Street

Wasn't Bartons opened by the original owners of "Uncle Sam's Chuck Wagon" on Eccleshall Road after they sold the restaurant to the owners of "Yankees"?

B.T.W. John Sinclair still have a china & glassware shop in Bakewell

Guest jeepster

I currently live in the converted Glossop Road swimming baths flats above the Swim Inn, and there's a shop named,"Sinclair's" across the road, is this the same as John Sinclair's as mentioned in this thread? They still sell high end goods (not that I really go in there!), I just wondered if it could be the same owners or if they have just taken on the name of the original shop that was there.

Fascinating to read about how the area was in years gone by! :)