Endcliffe Park in its heyday

Bayleaf

Here are some postcards from my collection showing Endcliffe Park in its heyday a century ago (and a couple more recent ones). The drinking fountain in its little building is gone. It was removed in the 1950's when the Hunters Bar junction and the park entrance were changed. The river now runs where it stood. The swimming pool has gone too, just an area of grass now. The bandstand may no longer be there but you can still see its mark in dry weather. The stepping stones must be one of the most photographed places at the time. There are dozens of different postcards, from all angles, in all seasons, with and without children playing on them. There's even a postcard of children playing on them by moonlight, some artistic licence there I think, and an early version of photoshop!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Alg...ground%20group/

Guest Sheffield Steve

Here are some postcards from my collection showing Endcliffe Park in its heyday a century ago (and a couple more recent ones). The drinking fountain in its little building is gone. It was removed in the 1950's when the Hunters Bar junction and the park entrance were changed. The river now runs where it stood. The swimming pool has gone too, just an area of grass now. The bandstand may no longer be there but you can still see its mark in dry weather. The stepping stones must be one of the most photographed places at the time. There are dozens of different postcards, from all angles, in all seasons, with and without children playing on them. There's even a postcard of children playing on them by moonlight, some artistic licence there I think, and an early version of photoshop!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Alg...ground%20group/

They are great - thanks for that.

It's not alterted much, especially around the larger lake. Plus the Queen Victoria statue has turned somewhat green these days.