Who is this?

Guest purplejumper

Guest purplejumper

Can anyone tell me who this is? ...well obviously it's a guy called Mark Firth, but who was he and what did he do?

My guess is he's something to do with the steelworks at Meadowhall/Tinsley/Attercliffe area

(complete guess though)

Guest bingles

Can anyone tell me who this is? ...well obviously it's a guy called Mark Firth, but who was he and what did he do?

Others will I'm sure be able to supply more detail, but Mark Firth was a Victorian industrialist (hence Firth Vickers etc) and benefactor of the city. In fact, he gave it Firth Park.

And anyone who feels the need to pay Mark or some of his family members a visit, can do so here .. ?

Edit: Sorry my watermark should be 05/01/08 ,,, not .. 2006

R.I.P. lol

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Firth Park is a district of Sheffield surrounding a park given to the city by Mark Firth in 1875. Mark Firth was the pioneer of a number of Sheffield Steelworks including the well known company of the era 'Firth Brown'. He was reported as to wanting to create an environment with quality housing, leisure and greenery for his workers and their families. The concept has been likened to that of the Bourneville project near Birmingham.

Strange but I came across that same engraving in an old journal from 1890 a couple of days ago - I think his old home - Oakbrook became the convent & school of Notre Dame.

I guess you could call him a 19th Century Dave Allen? ;-)