Wildgoose/Goodison

Guest Marlene

Guest Marlene

I'm still trying to find anyone who is related to Ethel GOODISON born 1884 in Heeley,Sheffield. I been trying to research my family on the GOODISON side for over 15 years since my father died and I discovered that he'd been "adopted" and his natural mother was Ethel GOODISON, she died just 5 weeks after his birth.

Ethel GOODISON married a Walter WILDGOOSE and they lived on Florence Place, Heeley prior to his death as a WW1 casualty. Ethel & Walter had children named Lily, Minnie and Bert (Albert) who were all placed with Wildgoose family when Ethel (their mother) died in 1923.

There must be some GOODISON/WILDGOOSE descendants out there who know of this family story, please!

Regards,

Marlene

Would this be your Walter ?

Name: WILDGOOSE, WALTER

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 18/02/1917

Service No: 5747

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

I'm still trying to find anyone who is related to Ethel GOODISON born 1884 in Heeley,Sheffield. I been trying to research my family on the GOODISON side for over 15 years since my father died and I discovered that he'd been "adopted" and his natural mother was Ethel GOODISON, she died just 5 weeks after his birth.

Ethel GOODISON married a Walter WILDGOOSE and they lived on Florence Place, Heeley prior to his death as a WW1 casualty. Ethel & Walter had children named Lily, Minnie and Bert (Albert) who were all placed with Wildgoose family when Ethel (their mother) died in 1923.

There must be some GOODISON/WILDGOOSE descendants out there who know of this family story, please!

Regards,

Marlene

Excellent bunch of information for an "outsider" to be getting on with, surnames single and married, dates before 1901, an easy to locate WW1 casualty (www.cwgc.org - brilliant); someone not called Smith, a Street address ....

Hope we can help you and thanks for the great "Starter for 10"

Ethel 1891

John Goodison 42 Spring knife cutler

Ellen Goodison 38

Alice Goodison 20 Cutler Etcher

Eleanor Goodison 18 White Metal Burnisher

John A Goodison 13 Messenger

Joseph H Goodison 12 Errand Boy

Ethel Goodison 6 Scholar

Francis A Goodison 5/12 (5 months)

Residents at 34 Carrfield Road, Heeley. All born Heeley.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Please note : I am not related, just nosey and I appreciate the great start point you gave lol

Ethel 1901

Interestingly new Head of family, Ethel has aged ten years (1891-1901) but is 2 years younger !

Alfred, 37, Engineers Tool Grinder

Ellen 36

Arnold, 18, Engineers Tool Grinder

Ethel 16, Clerk, Short hand typist

Alice V, 13

Owen V, 9

Henrietta, 4

Dorris M, 2

51 Mauvers (Manvers ?) Road, Owlerton, St John the Baptist, Nether Hallam

All born Sheffield.

There is also an Ethel Goodison from Richards Road, Heeley, but she is listed as born in 1892 - details available, let me know if you want 'em. I just find them, can't work out who is who all the time ....

Parents Charles and Jane if that helps.

Odds are, yours is the first of these ... (explanation available £95 + VAT, joking)

Ethel Goodison 1884 Jul-Aug-Sep Ecclesall Bierlow

Ethel Goodison 1885 Jan-Feb-Mar Ecclesall Bierlow

Guest Marlene

There is also an Ethel Goodison from Richards Road, Heeley, but she is listed as born in 1892 - details available, let me know if you want 'em. I just find them, can't work out who is who all the time ....

Parents Charles and Jane if that helps.

Hi RichardB,

Well done, you have found the correct line, Ethel is the one on the 1901 census as a 6 years old. I have Ethel (my grandmother ) from her birth to her death aged 38 in 1923, I even found her unmarked grave last year but, where are any descendants? I even have Walter Wildgooses' attestation papers even though he isn't my grandfather, I obtained them to prove that my Ethel Wildgoose was his widow, it was the only way to prove it, I also have their marriage certificate.

I have advertised for any descendants of Ethel's children (Lily Wildgoose, Minnie Wildgoose and Bert Wildgoose) all to no avail.

As it is I have no family on my father's side as he was the illegitimate son of Ethel, he was born in June 1923, six years after Walter Wildgoose's death in WW1

which proves also that my father was not Walter's son.

I know that in family history research the mother is the accepted line to search, I have done that so far as she was the daughter of Ellen Atkin and John Goodison but, I would dearly like to know who my father's father was so that I can research that line. I'm asking the impossible I suppose as there doesn't appear to be any Goodison/Wildgoose descendants doing family history research.

Many thanks for all your responses, you're very kind (and thorough to have found the correct line, I'm impressed!).

Regards,

Marlene

Guest Marlene

Ethel marries Walter Wildgoose Oct-Dec 1907, Ecclescake Bierlow (OK, Ecclesall)

Thanks RichardB, have that one. Incidentally, who's your GGG Grandfather who you're trying to find, I'm curious?

Regards,

Marlene

Many thanks for all your responses, you're very kind (and thorough to have found the correct line, I'm impressed!).

I'm just a Loony with a bad cold and a little time on my hands ;-)

I know that in family history research the mother is the accepted line to search, I have done that so far as she was the daughter of Ellen Atkin and John Goodison.

Is that, the previously married John Goodison then ?

1881 John Goodison (32) and Mary A. Goodison (29)

daughter Elizabeth (10), of Wadsley, Ecclesfield ....

Guest Marlene

Is that, the previously married John Goodison then ?

1881 John Goodison (32) and Mary A. Goodison (29)

daughter Elizabeth (10), of Wadsley, Ecclesfield ....

No, my John Goodison is the Heeley man, I can't find a link to the Wadsley/Ecclesfield Goodisons.

Marlene

Guest Marlene

Wow, you've got 10 years start on me then!

I started looking for my grandparents in 1992 when my father died and I discovered in his papers that he'd been "adopted" so I'd had a maiden name that wasn't mine, didn't need to marry to get rid of a surname which I hated anyway! Too late after 37 years years of marriage, I may as well stick with the old fella now.

Anyway, after 15 years I've discovered who my paternal grandmother was, where she's interred and, erm , erm, that's about it so I know your frustration. I've done Burgess Rolls etc. to no avail to find my paternal grandfather but, I'll carry on regardless.

I'll have a look at your posting re: your relative, I like a new challenge. Incidentally, thanks for your help, at least it proves that we concur on my findings thus far.

Hope the cold improves quickly.

Regards,

Marlene

Guest Marlene

Marlene,

I take it you're aware of the Wildgoose genealogy site at

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~willgooseweb/

Walter is included in the listings for Walters born between 1800 and 1899.

Thank you metalman. I am familiar with most of the Wildgoose names even though they are not my family. There is a researcher who has done a nation/world wide study of the name of Wildgoose and all its' derivatives but, unfortunately I'm seeking information on a Goodison who was married to a Wildgoose, in particular Ethel Goodison.

Ethel's husband Walter Wildgoose was a WW1 casualty, it took me years to find this information and I now have his Attestation Papers where there is mention of his wife Ethel and their 3 childrens' names so, at least I know that I have the correct Walter Wildgoose.

Many thanks anyway, it's very kind of you.