Snig Hill Miner

Guest Sheffield Steve

Guest Sheffield Steve

Anybody know the history about this? The miner on the wall?

Who designed it? Who painted it? Who funded the project? When was it done, etc? What was the inspiration, etc?

I think it's brilliant and is one of the earliest things to make an impact on my mind when I was a nipper.

Cheers

Steve.

Anybody know the history about this? The miner on the wall?

Who designed it? Who painted it? Who funded the project? When was it done, etc? What was the inspiration, etc?

I think it's brilliant and is one of the earliest things to make an impact on my mind when I was a nipper.

Cheers

Steve.

I always thought he was a steel worker, hard to say I suppose

Guest Sheffield Steve

Whatever he is, I'm still interested. I always thought he looked liked Ian McGregor, that NCB nark that caused the miner's strike - that's probably why I think he's a miner, lol.

Whatever he is, I'm still interested. I always thought he looked liked Ian McGregor, that NCB nark that caused the miner's strike - that's probably why I think he's a miner, lol.

Just makes me feel old !

Steve

I am sure I have seen a book in WH Smiths with him on the front cover, may be worth a look

Guest Sheffield Steve

Steve

I am sure I have seen a book in WH Smiths with him on the front cover, may be worth a look

Cool, I'll have a look out for that mate. Thanks.

Guest Sheffield Steve

I've visited the link mate - thanks for that. Learnt quite a bit. It's strange how you can learn so much so quickly after spending years wondering about it. Ain't the Internet great?

It is indeed a steelworker, the brickwork mural was designed by Paul Waplington.