Air Raid Shelters

Guest DBS

During the war, most schools were equipped with air raid shelters. Many of which have survived, if not capped off. I know the ones at king edwards school were recently 'discovered' and the students were meant to be using them in an archaelogical project.

These pictures are from the Collegiate Crescent Campus of Sheffield Hallam University and were meant to hold about 120 pupils. I think it was at this point still part of sheffield teacher training college.

Does anyone know about any other air raid precautions that were taken? My house has a bricked up section in the basement, which would be used to crawl into the neighbours basement if it were bombed.

Guest Chris Akabusi

i used to go to Carterknowle Jnr School Millhouses/Abbeydale area.

I think it was a hospital during the war and the school fields used to be shelters.

whilst we were there the fields were closed for about a full year whilst they dug up the whole field and removed the shelters, more importantly at the time was the face we could go on the field in the summer!!

During 1971 while I was helping the school technician at Norfolk school, Craddock Road (now no more) we had to go into the old school air raid shelters to consider it as a route for an internal telephone system. They looked remarkably like the ones in these pictures but not as well preserved for 3 reasons, firstly over the years they had become prone to flooding and mud and silt had washed into them. Secondly from the graffiti it was obvious that students knew of the shelters and how to get into it. (this involved knowing exactly which paving slab to lift which uncovered the stairway) and finally the building of the school annexe (a set of prefabricated classrooms) in the late 1940's on land directly above the shelters (previously the tennis courts) had meant breaking up parts of the shelter to insert water, sewage and other service pipes. The shelter tunnels zig zagged back and forth at 90 degree angles to put a lot of people space in a small area and to create "blast bends" in the event the shelter was hit. The service pipes running in a straight line cut through the shelter after every 2 bends rendering them unusable.

I've been meaning to photograph these 2 for a while now but they've been there for the last 60 odd years ..... so before they disappear.

Both are in quite remarkable condition, just a little damage, a bit of vandalism but apart from that almost perfect. Situated a couple of hundred yards apart in fields on Stockarth Lane, about half a mile from the old Middlewood Hospital. Whether they where built for the hospital or nearby houses, I'm not sure, seems strange.

Guest Trefcon

I love this thread, my interest is with WW1, but this gets me interested.

How many 'domestic' air raid shelters survive in Sheffield?

I know of one, and some of you might pass it every day to and from work.

Its in a garden of a house at the corner of Earl Marshall Road and Barnsley Road. Yes, i have been in it! When i should have been at school!

Dean.

Its in a garden of a house at the corner of Earl Marshall Road and Barnsley Road. Yes, i have been in it! When i should have been at school!

Dean.

My Uncle still had one in his garden in Beavercoates Road, Firth Park in the 1970s which he used as a garden store.

Couple of photos from Picture Sheffield

Picture Sheff

Picture Sheff

Guest plain talker

I remember the large patch of Khaki/yellow coloured clay in the top corner of my Grandfather's Yard, in Attercliffe, where the air raid shelter had been back-filled.

This would have been a good twenty years after the end of WWII, in about 1966/7

Dean.

Some of us went in the school air raid shelters when we should have been in school!

Some of us went in the school air raid shelters when we should have been in school!

It must have been interesting sitting in one of these in an air raid!

Pic Sheff

It must have been interesting sitting in one of these in an air raid!

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s03584

I feel sure I have seen a one man air raid shelter like this somewhere, possibly at Edem Camp museum near Pickering.

Doesn't look a particularly safe shelter to me, then again in the event of a direct hit how well would Anderson shelters have stood up?

Guest flosspark

I've been meaning to photograph these 2 for a while now but they've been there for the last 60 odd years ..... so before they disappear.

Both are in quite remarkable condition, just a little damage, a bit of vandalism but apart from that almost perfect. Situated a couple of hundred yards apart in fields on Stockarth Lane, about half a mile from the old Middlewood Hospital. Whether they where built for the hospital or nearby houses, I'm not sure, seems strange.

Well I lived on Stockarth close as a small child in the 1970s, and I remember distinctly having my first accident by falling backwards off of one of these structures when I was about 5 or 6...

I was with a group of older kids, and we were playing 'blind man's buff'. I was 'it' and fell backwards onto a wall, I think.

Blood everywhere - I remember my parent's being panicky and annoyed!

I wondered what they were.

Guest Oswald

I am carrying out a short study for my University dissertation, of archaeological remains from the period within Sheffield and South Yorkshire. I was wondering if anybody knew of any air raid shelters that I could include, especially in-situ Anderson Shelters.

Looking at the pictures above, i'm not sure what the buildings near Middlewood Hospital are, they dont look like shelters to me but I could be wrong.

I am not sure that I will be able to look at the ones within Hallam as I imagine there will be lots of safety issues, red tape etc. I dont really have the time to go through that.

Thanks for any help.

I posted this on "Left over from the war" a while ago.

I hadn't noticed this thread.

It's at Portland Works on Randall Street.

I have been out taking photographs as per normal. I was pointed in the direction of an air raid shelter. Was very suprised when I saw the air raid shelter painted sign, Not sure if picture needs to go somewhere else but I am assured that you have link fairies for that.

Here's the same one again lil48

Plus a bit of creativity with the signs. :)

This was one of our promo pictures from a couple of years ago.

Here's the same one again lil48

Plus a bit of creativity with the signs. :)

This was one of our promo pictures from a couple of years ago.

I reckon that one is you vox at the front with the blue and white striped shirt <_<