Jacks Temperance Bar

Sheffield History

JACKS TEMPERANCE BAR

358 Langsett Road - Sheffield 6

INFORMATION

Owner - Jack A Lee (would always push his false teeth out and back in again)

These bars were 'Temperance' bars set up by the Temperance Society to try and compete with pubs

Jack's Temperance/Sasperella bar was popular with the Sheffield Wednesday players of the 60's who could be found in there most afternoons. There was also a pinball machine in there.

Jacks may be memorable to people as it had a large neon durex sign in the window

As you entered the door there was a partition on the right, behind which was the "temperance bar" where young bloods would prop up the bar with a pint of sarsparilla, or play the pin table.

If you just wanted some aspirins, Rizla papers, cough medicine, razor blades, Elastoplast or condoms you just went to the counter at the left side of the partition. Jack would also sell cigarettes in units of two at a time !! You could buy Sarsparella, Vimto, Oxo or Cocoa

Jack also sold his "special" which was sarsparilla with a shot of "blood tonic" added (what was in it?)

Jack's closed in the late 1980s when Jack Lee retired

PICTURES

I think I have a picture of Jacks somewhere - it's very similar to the one posted above, with slight differences including a different sign and more stuff in the windows as I seem to remember.

I'll try to find it out.

Guest codeyes

He used to sell 5 Park Drive Tipped in a paper bag and give you 5 matches ...........been in there tons of times when I were a teenager

Guest codeyes

Would be great to get a picture of the man

Yeah. It's a shame....there aren't any pics on tnet but there are some forums/articles about it/him,.

Guest cheekymonkey

had some happy memories of jscks playing the ancient pinball machines and sampling the sasperillas jack was a great bloke who to the end took a lot of abuse from the local teenagers.,

one of my fondest memories of jack was being in there alone playing pinball and loading the old wurlitzer with coins i turned to jack and said i love this juke box can I buy it off you? he replied aye lad hows hundred quid sound ? 27 years ago that was a lot but imagine its worth now?

what becomes of the broken hearted..... tears on my pillow..... fond fond memories

Iheard jack died few years later lost sense of time and years sorry.

If youre looking down from the great sas bar in the sky thanks Jack. ;-)

Guest nosy nellie

had some happy memories of jscks playing the ancient pinball machines and sampling the sasperillas jack was a great bloke who to the end took a lot of abuse from the local teenagers.,

one of my fondest memories of jack was being in there alone playing pinball and loading the old wurlitzer with coins i turned to jack and said i love this juke box can I buy it off you? he replied aye lad hows hundred quid sound ? 27 years ago that was a lot but imagine its worth now?

what becomes of the broken hearted..... tears on my pillow..... fond fond memories

Iheard jack died few years later lost sense of time and years sorry.

If youre looking down from the great sas bar in the sky thanks Jack. ;-)

Does anybody remember before it was jacks it used to be called Harveys or have I got it wrong I am going back to the fifties.Does anyone go back that far.

Guest cheekymonkey

sorry but thats before my time but im sure someone on here can help Im far too young lol

Just found this old topic.

This used to be a Temperance Bar. (Obviously) although I don't remember it as such.

Dronfield Antiques, Abbeydale Rd.

I do remember Jacks (now a newsagents)

Google Streetview

One at Handsworth Road somewhere around here on the right.

Google Streetview

============

Another I remember in the 50's was on Bramall Lane, right hand side going out of town.

Just found this old topic.

This used to be a Temperance Bar. (Obviously) although I don't remember it as such.

Dronfield Antiques, Abbeydale Rd.

============

Another I remember in the 50's was on Bramall Lane, right hand side going out of town.

I can remember having my first ever pint of sasp in the Abbeydale Rd bar,

don't recall the one on Bramall Ln though.

By the way vox,

were your feet burning?

See my last 'mystery location'

By the way vox,

were your feet burning?

Aha! - got it. :)

By the way vox,

were your feet burning?

Jacks Temperance bar was our first port of call after an evening at one of the three cinemas in Hillsborough.

Jacks Temperance bar was our first port of call after an evening at one of the three cinemas in Hillsborough.

Hopefully one of our new members can use the site resources to name all three.

Everyone's got to learn sometime - The Korgies, but, former members of which band from the early 70's Stanley ?

[i do carry a lot of useless stuff around in my head ... Stanley is a clue by the way]