1891 Influenza Epidemic

RichardB

A throwaway posting by our brave, intrepid leader maybe, but, I've VERY interested in this. COULD fit the death of my Great Grandfather VERY well, he was alive on Census night then disappeared off the face of the Earth. What was the date of the 1891 census ?

My Uncle has spent We've spent 27 years trying to find the details of his Grandfathers death; my sister and me have put in 3 years each.

Anyone got any ideas how I might find out names of some/all that died ? Brings paupers graves to mind, 367 dead by Admins posting. The Sheffield Register archives at the local archives may be of some help, I'll see if I can ask a favour of my Sheffield relatives to try and look into this.

Edited original posting

---------------------------------------------------

Influenza epidemic in Sheffield, April-May: e.g., week ending April 11th, 1 death; April 18th, 7 deaths; April 25th, 55 deaths; May 2nd, 112 deaths; May 9th, 100 deaths; May 16th, 54 deaths; May 23rd, 20 deaths; May 30th, 14 deaths; June 6th, 4 deaths.

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...p?showtopic=252

Posted before I joined the site; just shows it's worth poking around.

Not our man but - The cause of death was uraemia, influenza and chronic Brights disease. ...... 1891 Census (Yorkshire) 121 St Philips Road, Sheffield.

Page not found, so this summary is all I found.

But my Great Grandfather lived at Dixon Street, near where the Cornish Works were, near Green Lane, real close to St Philips Road ... I'm intrigued !

A throwaway posting by our brave, intrepid leader maybe, but, I've VERY interested in this. COULD fit the death of my Great Grandfather VERY well, he was alive on Census night then disappeared off the face of the Earth. What was the date of the 1891 census ?

My Uncle has spent We've spent 27 years trying to find the details of his Grandfathers death; my sister and me have put in 3 years each.

Anyone got any ideas how I might find out names of some/all that died ? Brings paupers graves to mind, 367 dead by Admins posting. The Sheffield Register archives at the local archives may be of some help, I'll see if I can ask a favour of my Sheffield relatives to try and look into this.

Edited original posting

---------------------------------------------------

Influenza epidemic in Sheffield, April-May: e.g., week ending April 11th, 1 death; April 18th, 7 deaths; April 25th, 55 deaths; May 2nd, 112 deaths; May 9th, 100 deaths; May 16th, 54 deaths; May 23rd, 20 deaths; May 30th, 14 deaths; June 6th, 4 deaths.

--------------------------------------------------

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...p?showtopic=252

Posted before I joined the site; just shows it's worth poking around.

Hi RichardB Does the name Elizabeth Simpson mean any thing to you ??

Hi RichardB Does the name Elizabeth Simpson mean any thing to you ??

Indeed it does ! Especially if she passed away in 1911 ......

Indeed it does ! Especially if she passed away in 1911 ......

Hi RichardB

Sorry to inform you no more results other than what you already have as i seem to be finding

information you already have including the early 1890 death?

Thanks for trying, it's the most difficult thing I've ever come across, not helped by the IGI "Death about 1890", well we know he was there on Census day 1891, we don't know if he made it to the end of the day, the week, the month or the year.

Maybe we put this one up as "Question of the Century" with a prize for the Winner - Neil's paying .... lol

More details, mainly a posting for me to get my information in one place, but, very interesting anyway ... (hopefully)

-----------------

Sheffield Register

5th April 1891 - Census, Sheffield population 324,243 George Arthur Brant present and correct with his family at home, Dixon Street (the street where The Royal Lacer pub used to be).

-----------

8th April 1891 - Influenza spreading in the town.

-----------

16th April 1891 - Influenza reported to be rapidly spreading in the town and neighbourhood.

-----------

21st April 1891 - The Independant reports

"fully one-third of the workmen employed at the big works in Sheffield were absent last week from influenza. There is scarcely a shop, business establishment or office in which the effect of the outbreak is not felt"

(see June 7th)

-----------

1st May 1891 - Mr Mundella M.. is seriously ill from bronchitis, supervening on influenza.

-----------

3rd May 1891 - Mr C. B. Stuart, Wortley M.P. attacked with influenza.

-----------

6th May 1891 - The Mayor opens a fund for the relief of sufferers from influenza.

-----------

6th May 1891 - Mr Howard Vincent gives notice of a question in the House of Commons on the influenza epidemic in Sheffield. The Health Committee condems his action. Question withdrawn.

-----------

10th May 1891 - Archdeacon Blakeney, having recovered from the influenza, preaches at the Parish Church.

-----------

12th May - Sir F. Mappin and Lady Mappin suffer from influenza.

-----------

13th May 1891 - Health Committee's "snub" of Mr Vincent confirmed.

-----------

20th Mr Vincent M.P. attempts to justify his meddling with the influenza question.

-----------

7th June 1891 - Announcement is made that there has been a further marked decline in the number of fatal cases of influenza, and, that as regards the death-rateSheffield stands in the position of being one of the healthiest of the 28 large towns.

-----------

8th June 1891 - Mr Mundella is able to leave Folkestone and resume his Parliamentary duties. (Not in Sheffield until November !)

-----------

17th June 1891 - Dr Hunt reports on the influenza epidemic at the Fir Vale workhouse.

-----------

July 4th 1891 - The influenza epidemic :

Officers of the Local Government Board report on its history.

-----------

4th July 1891 - The Lancet reports on the sanitary state of Sheffield.

-----------

6th August 1891 - St. Philip's Ward election :

J. R. Wright 720

Jonathan Taylor 250

Vice G. Franklin, Alderman

-----------

2nd November 1891 - Municipal Elections ------ much detail -------

J. Nadin and

J.T. Dobb re-elected.

-----------

6th November 1891 - Mr Mundella M.P. pays his first visit to his division since his illness.

-----------

Now I just need access to all the detail behind these headlines; easier said than done, huh ?

Is it possible to hold of photocopies, mircofiche, digital images, brass-rubbings, or wood-carvings of the Sheffield Register covering the period April - July 1891 ? Now THAT would be a Christmas present !!!

(Her : I never know what to buy you ....)

(Me : That's because I'm weird)

(Her : <Stare>)

Great Grandfather VERY well, he was alive on Census night then disappeared off the face of the Earth. What was the date of the 1891 census ?

Found this in my notes for census dates,

Midnight. Sun/Mon. 6/7th June.1841

Midnight. Sun/Mon. 30/31st March 1851

Midnight. Sun/Mon. 7/8th April 1861

Midnight. Sun/Mon. 2/3rd April 1871

Midnight. Sun/Mon. 3/4th April 1881

Midnight. Sun/Mon. 5/6th April 1891

Midnight. Sun/Mon. 31/1st March/April 1901

14th May 1891

The outbreak at Whitby is rapidly subsiding, and there are very few new cases, whilst at Driffield, one of the towns where it first made its appearance, it has almost entirely disappeared.

The influenza is also subsiding in Sheffield. At a meeting of the Towvn Council yesterday, a heated discussion arose on a resolution of the Health Committee censuring Mr. Howard Vincent, M.P., for submitting a question in Parliament regarding the epidemic, calculated to injure the town in the eyes of the country. The resolution was confirmed by 28 votes to 14.

11th May 1891

Mr. Mundella and Miss Mundella keen improving slowly, but they have not yet been able to leave their beds.

The reports from the neighbourhood of Rotherham are still very unfavourable.

Considerable satisfaction has been expressed at the action of Mr. Vincent, M.P., In giving notice of a question in the House of Commons urging the Local Government Board to use the powers they possess in endeavouring to ameliorate the suffering and sickness in Sheffield.

25th April 1891 (Sheffield)

The epidemic of influenza from which this district is suffering is interfering with business to a rather seriouts extent, It has beens estimated that one third of the working classes have been temporarily absent from work from this cause. The worst is now thought to be over.

More 13th May 1891

Mr. Vincent

Before the Chancellor of the Exchequer replies I vwish to inquire whether his attention has been called to the allegation of the Sheffield papers of this day,that 267 persons have died of influenza within the borough in the past three weeks, and that the figures of the death-rate are without precedent and, baving regard to the fact that the metropolis and other parts of the country are in like condition, whether the Government will, instead of prolonging the holidays of the House of Commons, consider steps to ascertain the cause of the epidemic, and the beat means of averting the recurrence of its disastrous effects on the people, to whom illness means loss of employment.

Mr. Plunket

I am well, aware of the ravages which the prevailing epidemic has made amongst the members of this House, and I have given directison that our committee rooms shall forthwith be fumigated with sulphur, which I am advised is the best method of preventing the spread of the disease I shall adopt at once the same process in such other parts of the House as it may seem possible at once, and I shall avail myself of the recess for completing the operation.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer

With regard to the question put to me I have seen the report to which the Hon. Member for Sheffield refers, and the House will, I am sure, feel sympathy with the sufferings of the population from this disease. But I am glad to see in the very paper to which the Hon gentleman has called attention that there is univesal testimony to the fact that the number of cases is declining, and that in most of the works and places of business the pressure is passing away.

I see that one medical man who had been overworked has now only two cases on his hands, so I trust that the Hon. member will find that the disease is declining among his constituents. With reference to the general question, of course the attention of the Government has been called to the seriousness of the epidemic which has visited so many members of the House, and I am sorry to say that the members of the Government have had their share,and even in a larger proportion than any other part of the House. But with regard to the ques tion which has been especially directed to the length of the holidays, the Government is at present unable to make any communication to the House we must watch and see what further progress is made with the Land Purchase Bill which is now occupying the House, but as soon as possible my right hon. friend the First Lord of the Treasury will take the House into his confidence, and will consider what can be done. At present we must see what progress is made with the Land Purchase Bill.

Mr. Ritchie

As regards the reports of the Medical Department of the Local Government Board, the Board are in the habit of forwarding copies of such reports on local inquiries to local officers who have given assistance to the Board's inspectors in the inquiries. It is also the practice of the Board to distribute a certain number of copies of the annual report of the medical officer of the Board. In the case also of special reports, such as that on the smallpox epidemic at Sheffield, a considerable number of copies have been distributed among officers of sanitary authorities. Any applications that the Board may receive for such reports will be considered withi the desire to meet them, so far as is practicable, within the limits which may be fixed by the Treasury. I may it the same time observe that it is quite within the power of a sanitary authority to purchase at the cost of the rates reports of this eharacter, which they may consider will assist their officers in the discharge of their duties.