Localfield

RichardB

Thomas Newey

Beerhouse Keeper

Localfield Tavern, Burton Head, Sheffield

from 1864

<a href="http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimSummary.cfm?claim=6-5173" target="_blank">http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimSummary.cfm?claim=6-5173</a>

Map

http://www2.shu.ac.uk/sfca/claimMapOSCounty.cfm?claim=6-5173 - near Saville Street and Salmon Pastures

It was a beerhouse, not a Pub, I've shied away from beerhouses thus far, too many of 'em while I'm still working on Pubs ...

Any idea where Burton Head is/was ?

Beerhouses, Bah, one day I'll get around to them, unless anyone else fancies a task - there's only about 1,000 or them, OK maybe 1,200 - bit of cut and pasting from a web site into Excel - easy.

No I didn't think so lol

A bit of Burton Head

Ashforth, James (, sundries-including dealers in provision,groceries).

Residing at Burton Head, Sheffield in 1846.

Recorded in: Slaters 1846 Directory, Sheffield.

Beaver, Benjamin (, bricklayer).

Residing at Burton head, in 1837.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.

Cawthorne, John (~, Saw Mkr.).

Residing at Burton Head, in 1841.

Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.

Chase, Pursula (, dressmaker).

Residing at Burton head, in 1837.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.

Drabble, James (, pen and pocket knife manufacturer).

Residing at Burton head, Sheffield in 1846.

Haigh, Wm. (, brassfounder).

Residing at Burton Head, in 1852.

Recorded in: White's Gazetteer & General Directory of Sheffield - 1852.

Shearer, John (, grocer, flour dealer, & shear manufacturer).

Residing at Burton head, in 1841.

Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.

Smith, William (, brick maker).

Residing at Burton head, Sheffield in 1846.

Guest salejackie

Thanks Richard - Never heard of Burton Head - as far as I knew it was at 151 Attercliffe Road. Great to see where the name came from. I now understand your dilemma regarding beer houses. My gt gt Grandmother had a beerhouse at 19 Cricket Inn Road in 1851. She was Hannah Rutter.

I really appreciate the information from everyone. Tempts me to do the history of the pubs more than the people!!

Keep up the good work - Jackie

I now understand your dilemma regarding beer houses. My gt gt Grandmother had a beerhouse at 19 Cricket Inn Road in 1851. She was Hannah Rutter.

I really appreciate the information from everyone. Tempts me to do the history of the pubs more than the people!!

Keep up the good work - Jackie

If you do the Pubs you'll end up as bewildered as me !

John RUTTER Cowkeeper Cricket Road, Park Pigot's 1841

Hannah RUTTER Beerhouse Cricket Inn Road White's 1852

Guest salejackie

If you do the Pubs you'll end up as bewildered as me !

John RUTTER Cowkeeper Cricket Road, Park Pigot's 1841

Hannah RUTTER Beerhouse Cricket Inn Road White's 1852

Cheers Richard!! You don't actually try and sample the ale in all these pubs do you? or are they all long gone!! I wonder if John only had one cow or did he have more - Cricket Inn Road in those days looks very rural on the early maps. Are you going to publish a book about pubs or is it for our benefit that you keep toiling? Thanks again

You don't actually try and sample the ale in all these pubs do you? or are they all long gone!!

Are you going to publish a book about pubs or is it for our benefit that you keep toiling ?

I did my best to try all of the Sheffield pubs I could, with a reasonable span of the City centre (quite a large area) plus all of the S6, S10 postcodes , I visited 'em all between 1979-1981, with ONE exception - one I refused to enter - our next game to work out which one. More clues to follow, nothing cryptic or personal about this place, just, I was never going to go in there ... ever. You quesses and reasons I look forward to reading !

Not going to publish, unless Douglass Lamb and the Hallamshire Press give their premission as the basis of my work, I/we have answered the mystery pubs raised in "A Pub on Every Corner", even giving locations/Publicans in some cases; I have lots of Publicans added as against the original work, the Internet has given us all access to many more Pubs of Old Sheffield. "A Pub on every Corner" had 1,500 pubs, I can probably add another 100 right now, with beerhouses we can add another 1,000.

If anyone fancies helping (basic skills only required, cut from one website and paste into Excel; then email the finished lump to me) then we could just tackle the "beerhouses" which I have so far had to hide away from. 10 volunteers, approx 100 lines of text each (approximately two pages of a Word document) and we have it cracked; instructions provided ! See Admin for payment !!! If not, that's my new project for the New Year.

So, in answer to your second question, I'm toiling for me, for interest and for you lot, it's my Christmas gift to you :rolleyes:

though I'm just going to send it to Admin to work out how to actually get it to you.

Guest salejackie

Well done!! That was quite some feat!

Thanks a lot - Happy christmas to you too. I wouldn't mind helping out as long as instructions are fool proof!