Smallpox epidemic

RichardB

http://www.alternative-doctor.com/vaccination/hadwen.htm

The Case Against Vaccination

Verbatim Report of

AN ADDRESS By

WALTER HADWEN

J.P., M.D., L.R.C.P., M.R.C.S., L.S.A., Etc

(Gold Medalist in Medicine and in Surgery)

At

GODDARD’S ASSEMBLY ROOMS,

GLOUCESTER

On Saturday, January 25th, 1896

(During the Gloucester Smallpox Epidemic)

Extract :

Well now, let us see what vaccination did for Sheffield. This Sheffield epidemic occurred in 1887 in the very worst quarter of the town, on 135 acres of the most horribly insanitary part of the town, which was condemned years ago by the Government Inspector, and it has never been put right yet. That is where small-pox has always broken out, that is where small-pox has flourished: and when this tremendous epidemic took place on they went, vaccinating and re-vaccinating; and still the small-pox epidemic spread.

There were no less than 7,000 cases of small-pox, and, alas! 600 deaths, and still the small-pox went on; until at last God in his mercy opened the floodgate of heaven and down came the rain, which washed the sewers and the drains, cleared away the refuse from the gutters, washed the dirt from the streets and the filth from the slums and away went the small-pox. Pure water accomplished for Sheffield what 56,000 vaccinations had been unable to effect. (Loud cheers.)

I'm not sure where it is best to put this posting - I trust that the moderators will make appropriate suggestions (!).

While browsing (as one does) I came across a PhD Thesis entitled 'A SPATIAL ANALYSIS OF THE SMALLPOX EPIDEMIC IN SHEFFIELD, UNITED KINGDOM, 1887-1888' and I though someone out there might be interested!

It is downloadable at This link - its a 13.3mb PDF file. Much of it is statstics and GIS plots of data and is probably not to everyone's taste (I might read it 'cos I am a bit odd), but it does include info from the 1889 report on the epidemic which may be of interest to others.

Enjoy!

I'm not sure where it is best to put this posting - I trust that the moderators will make appropriate suggestions (!).

Topics merged.

Not sure if it is temporary, but your pdf/download link is not working Adrian.

Edit: pdf link working, takes a while to load.

Vaccination: Politics, the press and public health

The controversy over MMR (measles,mumps and rubella) vaccine, together with reports of a decline in vaccination rates, has seen science and politics hit the headlines. Using the example of an outbreak of smallpox in Sheffield in the winter of 1926/27 Tim Willis examines how politicians, medical practitioners and the media dealt with a vaccination controversy in the past.

in Wellcome History, Oct 2002, pp.2-4 (360 kb PDF)

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/stellent/groups/corporatesite/@msh_publishing_group/documents/web_document/WTD006091.pdf

Vaccination: Politics, the press and public health

The controversy over MMR (measles,mumps and rubella) vaccine, together with reports of a decline in vaccination rates, has seen science and politics hit the headlines. Using the example of an outbreak of smallpox in Sheffield in the winter of 1926/27 Tim Willis examines how politicians, medical practitioners and the media dealt with a vaccination controversy in the past.

Most interesting, Thank you for that Dave.

Most interesting, Thank you for that Dave.

There's also this:

The Case Against Vaccination

Councillor W. Asbury, Chairman, Health Committee, Sheffield City Council.

The Journal of the Royal Sanitary Institute (148), pp.140-156, 1927

Send me a PM if you'd like further details.

Dave.

7/12/2010 Additional refs:

Brief review of:

To Whom It May Concern: A Popular Address About Smallpox and Vaccination (William Wanklyn, 1927)

The Case Against Vaccination (W. Asbury, 1927)

American Journal Of Public Health (undated, probably 1928)

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/reprint/18/5/691-b.pdf (290kb PDF)

Smallpox Vaccine: Origins of Vaccine Madness

Jennifer Craig, BSN, MA, Ph.D, February 26, 2010

International Medical Council on Vaccination

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2010/02/26/smallpox-vaccine-origins-of-vaccine-madness/

During the last quarter of 1857, one-seventh part of the whole mortality of Sheffield was from smallpox.