Rotary Club of Sheffield

RichardB

http://www.sheffieldrotary.co.uk/fact.htm

Extract :

The Rotary Club of Sheffield was formed in July 1919, Chartered 24th October 1919, the 24th Club in Great Britain and Ireland.

The Sheffield Club currently has 40 members and the President for 2007-2008 is Stuart Webb. It meets every Monday night 6.15 for 6.30pm at the Holiday Inn in the centre of Sheffield. It is the senior club to four others, which meet in Sheffield. Namely Sheffield Vulcan, Abbeydale, Hallam and Wortley. Overall there are 188 Rotarians in Sheffield.

The Club has a long history of service to the community of Sheffield starting as the club was formed, when it undertook the mammoth task of providing a Christmas treat for the 5000 Sheffield widows and orphans from the First World War.

At the same time it formed within the Club, the Boy's Welfare committee, which still continue today with the unique Castleton Rotary Centre.

Guest kenfozzy

When I was about 7yrs of age my father was the van driver for Redgates, The best toy shop in the world. His boss at Redgates, was, I believe involved with the Sheffield Rotary Club. To cut a long story short, my father was asked if he would be willing to help take some dissabled people to their weekly meeting at the British Red Cross Society 'HQ' on Queens Road, as their motor invalid carriages were in for servicing as they were shortly going to take them to their holiday destination. Dad voulenteered and this was the start of a 'union' of friends that we had never encountered before or since. Eventually, Mum, my elder Sister Thelma, who was training as a B.R.C.S. nurse and my self became involved with the most friendliest of people and their families. After a few years we were invited to join them on their holidays and by this time we were welcomed at a holiday camp at Blackpool, Sqires Gate Holiday Camp. Most of the senior able bodied helpers at the S.M.C.C. ( Sheffield Motor Chair Club) I believe, had some involvement with the Rotary Club of Sheffield and really I have them to thank for all the friends I had up to the age of 19yrs. and giving me a purpose and ability to help others less able than myself.