photo dating

Guest loopysue

Had to make a new topic of a previous one.... Photo dating:

Congratulations ! You now know how to do it ! Any more information you can give us ? Surnames/firstnames, maybe a hint of an address, of Grandparents would be MOST useful, I'm no good with uniforms and my knowledge doesn't really kick in until you get back to about 1900, but they look like they may have been born in the late 1800's, other people have more brains and less body-fat - hope we can help...

Soldier looks to be in WW1 uniform. Lady's hairstyle looks right for the period.

Bugger, he beat me to it !

If you have a name go here, brilliant site

http://www.cwgc.org/

Commonwealth Graves Commission - if injured/killed in action, then he's on here

Guest loopysue

This is the other photo I have, my uncle (83) says it is the same people: George and Eliza Colley (nee Bramwell)

I'm not totally convinced? What do you think?

I await the input of the "Others", but

Name: George Colley

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882

Age at enlistment: 32

Birth Parish: Walkley

Birth County: York

Document Year: 1914

Regimental Number: 3932

Number of Images: 6

Any thoughts ?

Making NO claims on this lot, for your information only - CWGC.org

No Surname Rank Service Number Date Of Death Age Regiment/Service Nationality Grave/Memorial Ref. Cemetery/Memorial Name

1 COLLEY, G Private 4363 07/03/1916 Unknown Worcestershire Regiment United Kingdom R. 88. BROMSGROVE CEMETERY

2 COLLEY, GEORGE Lance Corporal 4/7532 01/07/1916 22 West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) United Kingdom Pier and Face 2 A 2 C and 2 D. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

3 COLLEY, G Private 17070 15/09/1916 Unknown Yorkshire Regiment United Kingdom VII. D. 55. WARLOY-BAILLON COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

4 COLLEY, G Private 8344 22/01/1917 Unknown North Staffordshire Regiment United Kingdom II. H. 20. SAILLY-AU-BOIS MILITARY CEMETERY

5 COLLEY, G Private 240042 28/04/1917 33 Worcestershire Regiment United Kingdom P. II. N. 15B. ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

6 COLLEY, GEORGE Private 18618 07/12/1917 23 Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) United Kingdom 9017. STOKE-ON-TRENT (LONGTON) CEMETERY

7 COLLEY, GEORGE Private 21762 11/03/1918 23 York and Lancaster Regiment United Kingdom X. C. 17. ROCQUIGNY-EQUANCOURT ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY, MANANCOURT

8 COLLEY, GEORGE Gunner 248144 23/10/1918 22 Royal Field Artillery United Kingdom Panel 3. LOOS MEMORIAL

9 COLLEY, G E Private 325633 02/05/1917 24 Durham Light Infantry United Kingdom P. I. D. 2B. ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

I don't think it's the same people. The man's mouth and eyes in particular are quite different. The woman likewise. The eyes are similar but the mouth is quite different.

As to the first question, yes, WW1 uniform, private soldier or non-commissioned officer, though I'd plump for the former. I've tried blowing up the cap badge but just as you start to see some detail the resolution goes! Any Photoshop experts on here?

Making NO claims on this lot, for your information only- just people called George Colley - SheffieldIndexers

George COLLEY secondhand book seller 172 Langsett Road & 110 Scotland Street White's 1911

George COLLEY Secondhand bookseller 172 Langsett Road & 110 Scotland Street White's 1919

George COLLEY Secondhand bookseller 172 Langsett Road & 110 Scotland Street; h. 33 Sydney Road, S Kelly's 1925

Must say I tend to agree, they're not the same people. Don't think Photoshop would help. There just isn't the detail required in the badge.

Heck, those people have two heads each ! Should be easy !!

Check out the chins, they say yes, ears on the man and distance between eyes say no ....