Postcard problem

Bayleaf

I collect old postcards of Endcliffe and the Porter Valley, and sometimes what's written on the back is as interesting as the front! I've just got one with the following on the back

From 5, Angus Terrace, Sheffield

"Dear E,

Will you come on Saturday, as Wain's machine wants fixing. Mr. White wants to see you that Gullet Bed is made wrong

Yours Fred"

It's addressed to Mr. E Thomas, 86, Oakland Rd, Hillsborough, Sheffield, and postmarked 9.45pm May 8th 1914.

Anyone any idea what a Gullet Bed was and what trade was involved?

The best card I've come across so far was from a lady in Burngreave, posted in the afternoon of Christmas Eve in the early years of the last century, to the Gas Company, reporting a smell of gas in her kitchen, could they come and find the leak please! I hope they got there in time!

After a quick look around I can tell you that a Gullet Bed can be a trench used in dam wall building, (the Dale Dyke Dam had one, didn't do it much good though) it's a problem with the human gullet or a 60 foot boat which is very popular in Turkey for cruising.

Take your pick, though I can't see "E" fixing any of them!

It's addressed to Mr. E Thomas, 86, Oakland Rd, Hillsborough, Sheffield, and postmarked 9.45pm May 8th 1914...

Ernest THOMAS Engineer 86 Oakland Road, Hillsborough White's 1919

'Gullet' Saddlery Repairs? don't know where the bed bit comes in though.

When flocking or altering a saddle, the craftsman must be very knowledgeable about saddle fit. He must be careful that, during his work, he retains the symmetry of the panels and the balance of the saddle. It is important to choose a craftsman who knows about saddles, and about how the saddle fit relates to the horse's back.

Perhaps the bed bit was to do with fitting, as in 'bedding in'

Incredible bit of info on the back of the postcard

I wonder if any of his relatives will come on and read his words...