Jim Smith Greengrocers Firth Park

Stunmon

1960. Which greengrocers was there first on the bottom of Bellhouse Road. Jim Smiths or Roses?

Thanks!!!

I'm sure Rose's was there in the 1950's but the only "Smiths" I remember was on Bellhouse Road going down to Nethershire. 

If my memory serves correctly there were 2 brothers so one may have had a shop at Firth Park end. Seem to think one was called Jimmy. Their mother lived next door to us on Bellhouse Road in the 1950's/60's. She had the sweetshop next to Hatfield House Lane I & J School and their dad  (named Jim?) not a well man, I think was of retiring age and must have worked for the council because he used to tend the flower beds at the school. Don't think he was ever in the shop trade possibly an ex-steelworker. 

It was Jim Smiths Greengrocers certainly in the 1960s at some point, but I can't remember when it was Roses, before or after!! Need someone with a 1960s Kellys!!!!!

The only Smith I've found so far. 

No. 18, Bellhouse Road, William Henry Smith, grocer

Date Period:1920-1939. 

s00809.jpg.7080d04a41ba6244912c81cf121a3088.jpgs00809

In the mid / late 1950s I went to FPGS with Roses son, John , a product of Oakwood private school.whom I think became a solicitor..His family ,by my Council house standards, were “posh”( they had a Yacht moored at Bridlington and took part in sailing regattas) and lived in a detached house at Firvale ….next to St. Cuthberts Church.Their shop was definitely at the bottom of Bellhouse Rd…near to Rotherys fish mongers and the Terminus.

Jim Smiths ….a much more down to earth character,shop was on Stubbin Lane. His produce tended to be cheaper than Roses…which was why Mum always did her greengrocery shopping there!

Whether or not Smiths took over Roses business later, I couldn’t say…by the time I left school I had other things to contend with than shopping with Mum!

The pic of Smiths grocer reminds me of the shop on the corner of Bellhouse Rd. and Shiregreen Lane…near the gated entrance to Concord Park where, in Summer, ice creams and ice lollies were on sale. Can you remember , Ponytail?

On 20/03/2024 at 19:47, Lysanderix said:

The pic of Smiths grocer reminds me of the shop on the corner of Bellhouse Rd. and Shiregreen Lane…near the gated entrance to Concord Park where, in Summer, ice creams and ice lollies were on sale. Can you remember , Ponytail?

Yes, I do remember Bucklows, proper ice cream. I think it closed down completely for a long time after they finished. 

As a small child I remember the first time going into the shop and she was weighing out sweets from a big jar into the metal weigh pan for a customer and the noise it made has stayed with me all my life. So much so the rare occasions I hear it now I'm transported back to that first time. Crazy how a sound can provoke a memory. 

I went to primary school with their grand daughter Margaret and we were train bearers together aged about 4 years old for Top Chapel's Sunday School Queen and Captain. 

Referring back to Jim Smiths, greengrocers, I understand now why I don't remember them, can't remember mum shopping on Stubbin Lane apart from Wilds for eggs up the little alleyway leading up to the Oval. 

Shopping trip in the 1950's was always "the Meadow", (where I was indulged with a custard cream from the assistant, that was up to being 5 years old) Friedriches, Spencer the butchers, Styans bakers, Wilds and returning up the hill again, the Chemist (always came away with a scented box) Matthews wool shop and finishing off with the Co-op at the top of Bellhouse for the cheese. 

Up until grandads death Dec 1956  (dad side of the family) we had fresh veg from his garden, afterwards I think mum shopped at the Market in "Town" but on occasion at Roses. 

Every one of those shops it was a queue to wait in, gossip to be exchanged and as a small child you had to learn patience as there was always conversation with someone in the street as well. 

Styans was on the corner of Bellhouse and Sicey, when it closed didn't it become a greengrocers?

I only shopped with mum until I started school in 1956 and  ran "messages" under strict instructions after that to certain shops; but have a memory of going into that shop as a greengrocers and thought that was Roses. 

Apologies Stunmon if my memory is muddled, I was trying to think of a Smiths on Bellhouse Road not on Stubbin Lane. 

The 1957 and 1965 Kelly's shows a Douglas W Rose, fruiterer, at number 12 Bellhouse Road.

Thanks SteveHB, opposite side of the road I was thinking of. 

Can you find a J. Smith, either Bellhouse or Stubbin Lane? 

I left home in 1965 to get married and I expect I remember the greengrocers as Roses on the odd occasion I'd gone shopping with my mum to Firth Park (we lived at Sheffield Lane Top) My sister in law knew Jim Smith and he possibly took over the Bellhouse shop in the mid 1960s? I don't remember a Smiths Greengrocers on Stubbin Lane but do remember the Mikado drink shop where my father took myself and my sister every Saturday afternoon after we had visited Firth Park Library. 

I also left home in 1965 to get married. We had bought a house off Elm Lane at Lane Top .

“Aunt Gladys” and her sister ran the Mikado Drink Shop. I put a piece on here a while ago reminiscing about the place…the home made ice lollies and the back room where invited kids were invited to watch TV…….when TVs were a rarity!

2 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Thanks SteveHB, opposite side of the road I was thinking of. 

Can you find a J. Smith, either Bellhouse or Stubbin Lane

The only Smith listed on Stubbin Lane, 1957 and 1965,
Mrs. Emma L Smith, at 98 Stubbin Lane.

Thanks for the details…….brought back lots of memories especially of the shops and a few relatives!

I have a vague memory of the greengrocer on Stubbin Lane being under a different name for a time before Jim Smith took over. Could that be why there’s no record of J Smith in Kelly’s?

Thanks SteveHB, much appreciated and I have learned the real names of some of the people who lived around us. "Oh dad you were naughty" 😂🤣 

Spotted a mistake in the 1965. No 186 Denis Beedham placed him the wrong side of ESC. Sports Club entry, which was a footpath leading to the sports ground. They lived adjoining Bill Parker. 

The " greengrocer Smith" I referred to in the earlier post was at No 446 W. Smith, fruitr & greengrocer. 

1957. No. 220 Wiley & Co. off licence was kept at that time by Mrs. Margaret Gent, Hudsons had moved out a few years before. The Gent family lived on the premises and am sure were living there when we moved to No. 224 Nov 1954...or they moved in very soon after, as I used to go round and play with their son Alastair for a couple of years before we were old enough to attend school (1956) We were forbidden, never to open the door into the shop when it was open for business. 

Directories are prepared not exactly the year of publication hence there are some discrepancies. 

On 20/03/2024 at 20:53, Ponytail said:

Every one of those shops it was a queue to wait in, gossip to be exchanged and as a small child you had to learn patience as there was always conversation with someone in the street as well. 

Ponytail, I definitely remember that experience as a very small child, from shopping with my Mum at Firth Park in the early sixties!

I hated the smell of the raw meat and the strange (to me) sawdusted floors of the two butchers (Friedrich and Watson)... so I used to wait outside. They had pottery pigs and cows in the window display.

I asked Mum why those pot animals were there, and that was my introduction to the reality of where meat actually came from.

I was mortified and have never eaten it knowingly ever since!! ^_^

• Like 1

I well remember the sawdust on the floor of Sam Watsons…to soak up any blood from the meat hanging on hooks on a rail…but can’t remember any at Friederichs ..from where we bought our bacon and the best pork pies this side of the Urals…..especially at Christmas when they needed ordering in advance.

There probably wasn't Lysanderix, I just have memory of the sawdust, and assumed it was in both. 'Twas many moons ago!  hehe

More names to remember for a Sheffield 5 lad. Charlie Rothery the fishmonger was married to my Dads cousin…but we usually bought our fish from Wilds on theGennel.

Mc Cartins hairdressers had a pretty daughter, Linda, with whom I went to Hucklow Rd school. Sadly, Linda died a few years after taking the 11 plus.