"Ell (L) Ware" on Pewter is Who?

Kalfred

A couple of weeks ago I took one of my standard tours around a local antique centre. That standard tour is lifting up metal items and seeing if there is a makers name anywhere, and then go and have a coffee and a bit of traybake in the cafe. I take photos sometimes, as I did on that afternoon. Below is an image of a pewter biscuit or sweet canister that I thought Interesting, together with its makers marks.

ELLWarePewterSheffield(1).jpg.d5dbb140ddb5ace5cd12762f9eee913e.jpg

It is clearly made in "English Pewter", but was that Sheffield Pewter and who the 'ell makes "Ell (L) Ware"?  Could it be one of the many Sheffield "Ellis" concerns from Sheffield's history or was it a play on sounds and an "L" start of company name? I am thinking the the item is 20th century and likely first half. There are plenty of items on line with this maker's trade marking. The marks on the base of a hip flask encouraged me to put my post on this section of the Forum.

ELLpewterflask.jpg.925e6812c20d4f272a623e5d1a2645aa.jpg

Any offers for the name of the "Ell (L) Ware" maker please. If it was a mid century item I wondered would there were relatives that knew of the concern?
Kalfred

https://www.pewtersociety.org/identifying-and-collecting-pewter/pewterers-marks

Quite a few Sheffield, no ELL (L) WARE.

Strange the mark is not recorded  on the website. Could it be someone who just did a few pieces as an amateur, or 

Then I found this, OK it's not pewter but it's ELL (L) WARE

https://www.prelovedgoodies.co.za/products/vintage-pre-1950-s-set-of-6-silver-plated-ell-ware-sheffield-cake-fork-with-matching-server-fork-countess-version-handle-design

And to confuse the issue:

ELL (L) WARE pewter tankard 1962.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115949336680

And another ELL (L) WARE tankard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304907441347

This must be a well known Pewter concern, there are so many items on line to view.

Kalfred

Thank you Ponytail for that extra bit of info. I found some EPNS forks with the "ELL" trade mark.

ELLLSilverplate-Copy.jpg.88069848575081a5f717ba264a9ff846.jpg

We need some confirmation that it is "George Ellis & Co.". I have been looking some more but found nothing to confirm that name. Obviously I guessed an "Ellis" concern, but why not an "Elliot" firm. There seem to be a few tankards with the trademark on. Anyone know about Sheffield Pewter tankard and flask makers?

Kalfred

7 minutes ago, Kalfred said:

Thank you Ponytail for that extra bit of info. I found some EPNS forks with the "ELL" trade mark.

ELLLSilverplate-Copy.jpg.88069848575081a5f717ba264a9ff846.jpg

We need some confirmation that it is "George Ellis & Co.". I have been looking some more but found nothing to confirm that name. Obviously I guessed an "Ellis" concern, but why not an "Elliot" firm. There seem to be a few tankards with the trademark on. Anyone know about Sheffield Pewter tankard and flask makers?

Kalfred

Would be worth contacting Pewter Society about the mark. 

Hello, still looking but not finding confirmed information. Two more images now, expanding the range of items with the ELL mark on, an EPNS condiment set and some butter knives with stainless steel blades, Sheffield made. I also saw EPNS spoon and pusher sets for babies also. 

ELLWareCruetset.jpg.fb11bd79e7622a8d0f2864d166ddbae8.jpg

ELLWareButterKnife.jpg.bc99b0dc43f58abc1e4bec78fc5351e3.jpg

The butter knives have a 2nd quarter of the 20th century look.  

There are some pewter tea items currently for sale (well known antique seller) saying for the trademark “Attributed to W. Ellerby of London who was a silver craftsman at the time”. There was a well known William Ellerby of London, silversmith, but in 1st quarter of the 19th century.  

The Pewter Society suggests they are better for 19th century marks than 20th cent and someone on the Forum could be the lead that's needed. 

Could the ELL mark not be a maker’s mark but belong to a retailer? 

Kalfred