Hadfield's Sports Ground, Bawtry Road, Tinsley

Ponytail

Hadfield's Sports Ground, Tinsley, Sheffield. Sir Robert Hadfield Bt. declaring this new sports ground open for the purpose of recreation. 26th May 1923.

u11959.jpg.67a9e04bc107ceee4aac7b10b74facd6.jpgu11959

Hadfield's Sports Ground, Bawtry Road, Tinsley with housing on Mapelbeck Road in the background. 1963.s26870.jpg.b8f336cba8fff08979ff873e52424c41.jpgs26870

Almost all our large steel companies had sports grounds and many had club houses! I remember Hadfields ground . I was a rather poor  but enthusiastic cricketer. I fielded somewhere in the “wilderness”, never bowled and batted ….for a duck at no 10! Happy Days!

55 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Almost all our large steel companies had sports grounds and many had club houses! I remember Hadfields ground . I was a rather poor  but enthusiastic cricketer. I fielded somewhere in the “wilderness”, never bowled and batted ….for a duck at no 10! Happy Days!

You took part Lysanderix and am sure enjoyed the "tea" laid on by the home team and a drink in the club house afterwards. It was often a family social occasion as well. 

Social life and shared experiences were an important part of our post War lives which ,sadly, seems to be less important today.

The days of the large "firms" providing not only work for generations of a family but various sporting and social opportunities are no longer; it's probably difficult for those who weren't lucky enough to be part of that era to understand what a sense of community and "belonging" there was even after retirement. 

Dad served his engineering apprenticeship at Hadfields, (his father worked there repairing the furnaces.) He'd been a long time member of their junior and senior cricket team, walking from Shiregreen to the Bawtry Road Sports Ground played cricket then often a walk back again. When his time as an apprentice was up, the employment situation wasn't good and they weren't "keeping on" time served apprentices. The sports section were dismayed they were losing their promising cricketer especially when a few weeks later he turned up for a match on the opposing ESC's team. There was tremendous sporting rivalry between the various steel firms of the area. 

Hadfield Sports Ground in later years was utilised by Brinsworth Whitehill Football Club and for a time Rotherham United FC as a training ground. 

There were a clutch of works sports grounds on Bawtry Road; across the road there were three. One over the "border" in Rotherham became Aurora Sports Ground.

The sports ground nearest to Park House School was used by Sheffield United Cricket Club and later Hallam University took it over.

The third was set back between the other two and even in the 1980's the remnants of their athletics track was still partly usable.

Can anybody remember whose sports grounds these were originally? I believe one was Firth Vickers. 

Further up Bawtry Road into Rotherham territory was Steel Peech & Tozer's, later Phoenix Sports Ground, where Brinsworth Whitehill JFC moved to. 

Mustn't forget Darwins sports ground off Ferrars Road, Tinsley. 

Hadfield's Sports Football Club 1927-28, winners of Raleigh Cup and Intermediate League. 

u00147.jpg.fcd8bfc61ff74abd0b6586e014b84787.jpgu00147

Can anybody name the team members. 

Antique Cup presented to Hadfields Sports in 1922 by Sir Robert Hadfield Bart. for excellence in interdepartmental games. 1922.

u11977.jpg.e9c3785f091e56503ca20e926fc64f18.jpgu11977