Footpath leading to Parkbank Wood at Beauchief

Roger Stevenson

At the junction of Cockshutt Road, Crawshaw Grove and Crawshaw Avenue, there is a footpath between houses leading to Parkbank Wood from where a descent can be made to reach Beauchief Abbey.

The houses round there were built pre war.

Was that footpath there before housing development and did it continue back in the direction of what became Westwick Road ?

Hi Rodger :   The paths were there long before the Westwick housing development came about!

Nearly all the old footpaths around Greenhill are said to be ancient pathways between Norton Church and Beauchief Abbey and  been in use for hundreds of years and still continue to be used to this day.

A lot of the paths shown in this National Library of Scotland link can still be found!

https://maps.nls.uk/view-full/100950269#zoom=4&lat=3077&lon=3137&layers=BT

This painting shows some folk taking a Sunday stroll along a path coming from in the opposite direction towards Beauchief Abbey.

Screenshot_2024-02-17-14-04-10-492.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-02-17-14-05-35-541.jpeg

• Like 2

Good morning southside

Any knowledge relating to the colour print of the Beauchief view ?

i.e. Artist and date     Is this on display anywhere ?

Roger

On 22/02/2024 at 09:49, Roger Stevenson said:

Good morning southside

Any knowledge relating to the colour print of the Beauchief view ?

i.e. Artist and date     Is this on display anywhere ?

Roger

I was hoping for a response from southside re my request for information relating to the colour print of the Beauchief view.

Anyone with knowledge of the artist and date of painting ?

Not the colour one unfortunately. 

General view of Abbeydale by artist William Ibbitt. Beauchief Abbey in the distance. 1857. 

s11510.jpg.13f006c0ecda830edea09cd0728f34e0.jpgs11510

Don't know how I missed this one. 

Abbey Dale. 1857

IMG_20240225_212303.jpg.5df303a66a96fb33a34e431f87b06cdc.jpgov00161

Published April 20th 1857 by Wm. Ibbitt, 152 Broad Lane, Sheffield.

Day and Son, lithographers to the Queen.

Inscription on image reads: Respectfully inscribed to John Rodgers Esq. of Abbey Dale by his faithful servant William Ibbitt.

11 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Don't know how I missed this one. 

Abbey Dale. 1857

IMG_20240225_212303.jpg.5df303a66a96fb33a34e431f87b06cdc.jpgov00161

Published April 20th 1857 by Wm. Ibbitt, 152 Broad Lane, Sheffield.

Day and Son, lithographers to the Queen.

Inscription on image reads: Respectfully inscribed to John Rodgers Esq. of Abbey Dale by his faithful servant William Ibbitt.

Good morning Ponytail and thanks. didn't think to have a look at Picture Sheffield

Could this I wonder be on display anywhere

15 hours ago, Roger Stevenson said:

I was hoping for a response from southside re my request for information relating to the colour print of the Beauchief view.

Anyone with knowledge of the artist and date of painting ?

Missed your post Roger!  been away for a few days. Can't tell you anything about the painting myself, but looks like Ponytail has found  the answer for you.

Good evening southside and Ponytail and many thanks.

Some fascinating information you have provided

I live a stones throw away from that location, hence my interest

This is probably the John Rodgers who Ibbitt painted the scene for. 

Abbeydale House 1860. y12784.jpg.3fae91c5f797377fa22c556d1dc5e22b.jpgy12784

s05499.jpg.43e788d7ae259096a205e62cdab9f902.jpgs05499

In 19th century Sheffield, the most famous cutlery firm was that of Joseph Rodgers and Sons. Much of the success was due to his son John Rodgers. In 1849 John built himself a new house of polished Anston stone in the Italian style of architecture, to the designs of Rooke Harrison. He died ten years later, and his nephew Robert Newbould took over the running of the business. Newbould built a new house a little further up Abbeydale Road in 1851, calling it Abbeydale Grange. It was taken over between 1903 and 1906 and became the registered offices and admin Department of Snowite Laundry, the company's boardroom being on the first floor.

16 hours ago, Roger Stevenson said:

Good evening southside and Ponytail and many thanks.

Some fascinating information you have provided

I live a stones throw away from that location, hence my interest

Hello Roger,

The artwork is part of the Government Art Collection (ref: GAC 10977).

https://artcollection.culture.gov.uk/artwork/10977/

It may be on display in a Government building somewhere in the world, as some of their collection of some 14700 works are scattered across 125 countries worldwide (embassies and consulates, etc.)

https://artcollection.culture.gov.uk/about/what-is-the-government-art-collection/

The chances of seeing it on display in a UK public gallery are slim (to non-existent!), but you could contact them and quote the GAC reference, so they can locate its whereabouts on their database. You may find that it is ‘in archives’, which unfortunately most of their works actually are.

http://museu.ms/museum/details/14944/government-art-collection

A bit of background reading and some links to explore, hope you find useful?
——

It actually just ‘clicked’ with me where the origin of Abbeydale Road comes from now, as all the old maps show this as the route from Sheffield and the references to ‘Dale Abbey’ <> ‘Abbey Dale’

see reference to ‘Beauchief and Abbey Dale Station’, when it was in Derbyshire in 1883 😁

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101600205

• Like 1

Good morning RLongden. I have written to find out the location of William Ibbitt's print.

If I get a reply will post on Sheffield History

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roger Stevenson said:

Good morning RLongden. I have written to find out the location of William Ibbitt's print.

If I get a reply will post on Sheffield History

I am told the print is in storage in London

When time and opportunity permits, I'm going to find out who can help to bring the print to Sheffield for display in a Sheffield gallery.

• Like 2