Hallam Towers / Hallam Tower Hotel

Viners

I just noticed that Hallam Towers in Broomhill was finally redeveloped and that the new flats/apartments were completed on the site in 2022.

When I first studied and worked in Sheffield I remember the Hallam Tower Hotel as somewhere that was spoken of as that a place that the visiting wealthy and famous would stay and it gave me an impression of relative modernity and exclusivity.

A few years later I would stay there myself a couple of times when visiting Sheffield with friends. It had become the Hallam Tower Post House Hotel. When Christmas and New Year fell at weekends they would offer a discounted room rate in the period between. I'm guessing it was because they were mainly catering for business travellers and it was a quiet for these types of bookings over Christmas and a cheap deal brought in a bit of custom. We'd ask for rooms on the upper floors with a view over the city. I remember it being an impressive sight, particularly in the evening and seeing all the lights. The hotel had a gym and swimming pool but was starting to feel a bit outdated, but still OK and handy for the city centre. The hotel wasn't very busy.

Not too many years after that, the hotel closed (on Wikipedia it says 2004) and I saw that it progressively fell into a more dilapidated state becoming more or less a shell and infamously somewhere that 'urban explorers' would trespass and film videos. I was slightly saddened how the place had descended from being a bit 'swanky' to an eyesore and blot on the landscape to being demolished.

My late ,good friend ,and his very much still alive wife met whilst both wereworking at the Hallam Towers. He was the Chef and she a Housekeeper. Both had “amusing “tales about some of the hotels guests…especially foreign football teams.

• Like 1

My friend had her Wedding Reception there, right up at the top! Brill views!!

Another of our friends first job, was on the 'Room Cleaning Team'.

There are some good photos of it on PICTURE SHEFFIELD.

• Like 1