Student Nurse Accommodation

southside

In the 1960s the firm I worked for did a lot of contract work in and around Sheffield for the Sheffield and Nottinghamshire Regional Hospital Board based at Fulwood House. A lot of this work was on property's converted to accommodate Student Nurses.

One of the properties was located somewhere around the top side of the Northern General and I can't for the life of me remember the name of the building, I'd just finished my apprenticeship and this was the first big solo job I'd been given to work on. It was a big old house with entrance yard and outbuildings.

Any help to locate the building would be appreciated.

Southside 

Thanks RLongden,   That's the place Norwood Grange! it's all coming back to me now. On the first day working there the House Keeper was a bit of a jobs worth and wouldn't let my apprentice work inside the building, said he wasnt old enough. You had to be 18 to work on hospital property, don't know if that's still relevant. 

As you can see by these two Google Earth screenshots, the listed cottage barn and stables of Norwood Grange are getting into a bit of a state.

Screenshot_2024-02-01-17-13-46-164.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-02-01-17-05-42-854.jpeg

37 minutes ago, southside said:

As you can see by these two Google Earth screenshots, the listed cottage barn and stables of Norwood Grange are getting into a bit of a state.

Grade II Listed!

It's hoped they are pressed into doing  the repairs. 

On 01/02/2024 at 18:11, southside said:

Gosh, that second pic of the boarded up brings back memories, we often used to visit here in the mid 1980's. At that time, it was lived in by the Hospital Chaplain and his wife and family. Our daughter was friends with their daughter plus his wife and I belong to another local group. One vivid memory of being there was that our car 'leaked' - we had a Citreon and it had special fluid for the hydraulics, one day something went wrong and it leaked all over yard and we couldn't move it, had to walk home. The following day, hubby bought more fluid, added it and got it to a garage for repairs

There is also Norwood cottage all boarded up within that site that was used  by the matron.

There is a photograph on the Picture Sheffield website of Matron Miss B. Janson, outside her home at Norwood Grange at ref No. h00292

This photograph appeared in the Nursing Mirror Newspaper, 16th August 1957.

Copyright: Nursing Mirror Newspaper

Only the thumbnail is available to view.