One for the headscratchers

RichardB

Guest loopysue

There were: Big Gun, Black Bull, Viaduct, Royal Hotel, Coach House, Brewer on the Bridge, Railway, Hare and Hounds And there was another that was up the top end of the Wicker (markets end) across from Brewer on Bridge that we can't recall the name of as it was?

Where abouts in the wicker was the Crown and cusion you want? I seem to think it maybe the Black Bull?

There were: Big Gun, Black Bull, Viaduct, Royal Hotel, Coach House, Brewer on the Bridge, Railway, Hare and Hounds And there was another that was up the top end of the Wicker (markets end) across from Brewer on Bridge that we can't recall the name of as it was?

Where abouts in the wicker was the Crown and cusion you want? I seem to think it maybe the Black Bull?

Hi loopysue The missing Public House opposite the Brewer on the Bridge was The Elephant and Castle.

Sorry made a mistake The Elephant and Castle i was thinking about was a tea room.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s16298

There is only one pub still trading on't Wicker and thats The Big Gun. I don't think thats the building Richard is refering to.

Wicker pubs starting on the left looking towards the arches, yellow lion corner of nursery street, big gun, new white lion, viaduct, station hotel.

On the right was brown cow and the bull and oak.

There is only one pub still trading on't Wicker and thats The Big Gun. I don't think thats the building Richard is refering to.

Wicker pubs starting on the left looking towards the arches, yellow lion corner of nursery street, big gun, new white lion, viaduct, station hotel.

On the right was brown cow and the bull and oak.

Sorry. Didn't mean to mislead, it was still open in 1996 and it was on the right heading out of town, if that helps.

Sorry. Didn't mean to mislead, it was still open in 1996 and it was on the right heading out of town, if that helps.

It's not misleading Richard, i worked ont Wicker and frequented all of the pubs in that area.

I find it interesting that i had never herd of the pub name 'The Crown and Cushion' :mellow:

Can we go for a 50/50 then? lol

Hi SteveHB I will have to say The Brown Cow because i have had a drink in there.

Hi syrup think i will go along with your decision, as i once had a pee in the gennal at the side of it. :o

I don't have the answer in front of me ....

older building, perhaps smaller ???

I've been in both Pubs, but then, I would have wouldn't I ? lol

Until I775 there were no buildings in the Wicker beyond the Lady's Bridge until you came to Sam Hill's tavern, the Crown and Cushion. This, up to I7I5 had been the old 'Sembly House, used in connection with the annual muster of the horsemen and harness which the old feudal tenure required the freeholders to provide for their lords.

Leader.

Also heard it called "Billy Hills"

Sembly House is a very big clue.