Carbrook Recreation Ground

Ponytail

My late father in law ,who lived as a young man in Carbrook ,used to tell me of the days when he ran ,for money ,in races which saw competitors coming from as far away as Newcastle, on what he called the Pheasant Grounds. Much money was placed on bets as to the winner ,who often had been seen practicing but secretly wearing  weighted shoes…..of course, for the actual race the lead weights were removed!

Life in the 20s in East End of our City must have been “interesting”.

Carbrook Recreation Ground, Carbrook Park off Manningham Road with Brown Bayley's Ltd. Steel Works in the background. 

u04995.jpg.19e08c4e3a3b3831a117bdb366d8ec38.jpgu04995

On 28/01/2024 at 08:19, Ponytail said:

Plan of Carbrook Recreation Ground. 1897. Shown in situ on a 1950's map. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y09365&pos=1&action=zoom&id=63686

Is the Cricket Ground marked to the right part of the original grounds of the Pheasant Inn or another Cricket Ground? 

View Carbrook OS map:-

Yorkshire. CCXCV. NW - OSSIX - inch map        1889        1894             Clear layout

On 29/01/2024 at 07:06, Ponytail said:

Carbrook Recreation Ground, Carbrook Park off Manningham Road with Brown Bayley's Ltd. Steel Works in the background. 

u04995.jpg.19e08c4e3a3b3831a117bdb366d8ec38.jpgu04995

I spent many a happy hour in there though the background noise from the steel works could be a tad frightening at times.