Sheffield Castle

Roger Stevenson

Looks like there is going to be a 40 storey tower block erected on the corner of Angel Street.

When the current building in that location is removed and the foundations for the new building are prepared, will any Castle connected remains be found ?

Is the location too far out from the castle grounds ?

Does anyone remember if during excavation for the Hole in the Road if anything of significance relating to the castle was found ?

Site of Sheffield Castle as shown on Ordnance Survey Map. 1890. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y06789&pos=91&action=zoom&id=6125

Not sure what they found when excavating for the "Hole in the Road"

Does anybdy else know? 

If it's the site formerly Peter Robinsons/C&A, thinking what it was in recent times... Primark? 

Former premises of Montague Burton Ltd., tailors, Nos. 51 - 55 High Street/Market Place, showing air raid damage. s00873.jpg.d3585319f2441592912bb26cef6ba84b.jpgs00873

The building was destroyed in the Blitz of 1940, but wasn't finally demolished until c. 1960.

My father told me of a tunnel he was shown in the cellar of a barbers shop in the Pond Street, Flat Street area..

Secret Tunnels of Sheffield. - 3 pages, you can just follow on from the first -

https://sheffielder.net/2020/02/07/secret-tunnels-of-sheffield-1/

https://sheffielder.net/2020/02/07/secret-tunnels-of-sheffield-2/

https://sheffielder.net/2020/02/07/secret-tunnels-of-sheffield-3/

tunnel.jpg

The "Tunnels in Hartshead" 

Extract from Reminiscences of old Sheffield, it's streets and it's people. Edited 1875 by Robert Eadon Leader. From articles and letters in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independant 1872/73.

Pages 16 &17.

Leighton: In the Hartshead, some sixty years ago, the late Mr. Thomas Pearson carried on business as a wine merchant, and there realised a large fortune.

Wragg: It is said that on his late premises there are two cellars cut out of solid rock, one underneath the other. They are now occupied by J. S. & T Birks, grocers and wine dealers. 

Leighton: Then there was "T'oil i' t 'Wall" (The Hole in the Wall) and house now occupied by Mr. Alcroft with entrances from both Hartshead and Watson's Walk, was kept by Mr. Sam Turner-  "Gin Sam," as he was called, to distinguish him from "Flannel Sam"  - the draper." 

IMG_20221229_141828.thumb.jpg.ae538c3e36f02cfd1e50786071d7d188.jpg.bf626290a94bf239fddcd4f3d613691e.jpg

Did Birks expand the cellars as well? 

Just noticed, we already have a considerable post on this subject. ---

Is there any economic sense in building this  “blot on the landscape “or is it an ego trip?When the Moor was largely rebuilt after the War a limit was placed on the number of storeys allowed. I know times change but Sheffield , thankfully, isn’t a New York London or Singapore and we don’t need to crick our necks looking up at another “ marvel”.

• Like 1

Yet another high rise, which will probably be empty. What happened to the plan for an open area with castle footings shown?

It was due to start this month:

The first phase of work will see site clearance and preparation, under-pinning of the Old Market Tavern and most importantly, excavation of the gatehouse area of the Castle.  Apart from the excavations of the 1950’s when very few people were able to see the remains, this will be the first time the gatehouse will be opened up for everyone to see and appreciate since the Castle was demolished in the late 1600’s.

I’m pleased to say that the contractor’s Project Manager has already been in touch with us to see how we can work together on the project and therefore we are very hopeful access to the site might be permitted whilst the work is going on.  It has not been confirmed which archaeological firm will be undertaking the work yet, and we will update you as and when we know more.

At least that's what Martin Gorman, Chair of the Friends says!

• Like 1

It should, as there is no real substance to the plan. It's simply a matter of exposing the ruins, then making green spaces around them. Then it's just a matter to get the "craft" shops and Bars and restaurants to fill the site up. It seems to me that any sensitive ruins will be covered over with viewing platforms around them.

Perhaps they will have Ivanhoe themes bars and restaurants?  It did feature in the book and films!

I'm surprised they got English Heritage to agree to the Gatehouse reconstruction. They always frowned upon that when I had dealings with them. If anything doesn't materialise, then you can bet it will be that. 

Just a reminder, if you are going to submit a planning application for construction of something in the City Centre, be sure to mention "bars and restaurants" in it. That way it's bound to get through, at least until the planners get fed up with the phrase. Then it will be blocked. 😁

Yes, English Heritage blocked that idea, you can bet on that!

I was just going on what the Friends Group site have.

On 23/01/2024 at 17:19, Lysanderix said:

Is there any economic sense in building this  “blot on the landscape “or is it an ego trip? When the Moor was largely rebuilt after the War a limit was placed on the number of storeys allowed. I know times change but Sheffield , thankfully, isn’t a New York London or Singapore and we don’t need to crick our necks looking up at another “ marvel”.

Want the bad news - there are 16 either earmarked for construction or have planning permission.

The good news is that these new houses in the sky will stop the need for house building on Green Belt land.

Mind you, these are on Green Belt land!

Farm building -Troway

2024-01-2900_38_55-GoogleMapsTroway.png.d3c273ec0f4fc5b922d922943246d127.png

Scrapyard Norwood - don't know what the other bit is!!

2024-01-2900_42_26-GoogleMapsNorwood.png.a6ebe556ec8d290b3ee98e9c34faaefb.png

Back to the topic - the Castle Market Tavern (mentioned in the plans) is being demolished, due apparently because the Council let it get in such a state that the building inspector deems it unsafe.

Ron Clayton is up in arms about it and wrote a letter to the Star! He points out that the Council has only one Heritage officer.