When was Manvers way (A633 / A6023) opened ?

JS2021

I am surprised how much trouble I am finding this out. It was only 10 to 20 years ago and I thought "everything was on the internet" !

Does anyone know when the "Wath bypass" Manvers Way (A633 which becomes the A6023) was opened ?

I know it was after Feb 2000 because I walked the route of the ex railway line then (which the road has now been built on).

3 hours ago, JS2021 said:

I am surprised how much trouble I am finding this out. It was only 10 to 20 years ago and I thought "everything was on the internet" !

Does anyone know when the "Wath bypass" Manvers Way (A633 which becomes the A6023) was opened ?

I know it was after Feb 2000 because I walked the route of the ex railway line then (which the road has now been built on).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Thanks for that, was that all of it at the same time ? I had some idea A6023 section was opened first, or is that wrong ?

BTW how did you find that out or did you just know it from your own experience ? ! ?

11 minutes ago, JS2021 said:

Thanks for that, was that all of it at the same time ? I had some idea A6023 section was opened first, or is that wrong ?

BTW how did you find that out or did you just know it from your own experience ? ! ?

A6023 Wikipedia. First part of bypass. 👍

8 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

A6023 Wikipedia. First part of bypass. 👍

I don't think that was the "Wath bypass", that was further East, a bridge over the railway between Mexborough and Denaby. I can remember them building that as I traveled through the site in 2002.

21 hours ago, JS2021 said:

I don't think that was the "Wath bypass", that was further East, a bridge over the railway between Mexborough and Denaby. I can remember them building that as I traveled through the site in 2002.

Seen the replies on Sheffield Forum as well. Bit of an undefined set of answers!

I looked on the :- UK PARLIAMENT - HANSARD, BYPASSES: CONSTRUCTION list - 1997 to 2008

Wath Bypass or A633 or A6023 are NOT listed. Ok Heartshome

A Sabre thread on this says Manvers way was on some maps as being open by 1999.

The fact there is no opening date on the internet (that anyone can find ! ) is very odd, as is the fact I could have sworn I walked that route in Feb 2000 and it wasn't not open then (I do not even remember it being built ! ).

Very curious.....

On 12/04/2024 at 09:48, JS2021 said:

A Sabre thread on this says Manvers way was on some maps as being open by 1999.

The fact there is no opening date on the internet (that anyone can find ! ) is very odd, as is the fact I could have sworn I walked that route in Feb 2000 and it wasn't not open then (I do not even remember it being built ! ).

Very curious.....

YES! certainly a bit odd! it's not as though it could be missed! finding the name of one of the contractors that did the work on it,

and asking them might shed some light!

Perhaps the difficulty with finding information is because the scheme had a different name when it was planned/built and specific road names and numbers used now (e.g Manvers Way, A633) weren't chosen/allocated until later on? It looks like the development was in phases of the dual carriageway A6195 and then other sections branching off, including cleaning up and construction where the Manvers colliery was.

The articles I found mention phases 1, 2 and 3. My impression is the A6195 opened in late 1998 and then other sections progressively into 2003.

"The Dearne Towns Link Road (the dual-carriageway section) was officially opened on Monday 12 October 1998 by Richard Caborn, Minister for the Environment. It was built by AMEC Civil Engineering Ltd and VHE. It cost £30m. The route was planned by Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A6195_roa

"This section is known as the Wath Link, Dearne Valley Coalfields Link Road or Barnsley Coalfields Link Road"

https://www.vhe.co.uk/project/17/coalfields-link-road/

"VHE was later awarded the contract for Phases 2 and 3 involving the construction of approximately 2.5km of single carriageway"

Is it also possible that Manvers way was opened up bit-by-bit (say where each roundabout is) to provide access to the adjoining land making it harder to put a single date on it? 

In October 1997 Hi-Tech UK were advertising for a Technical Sales Representative (environmental purification equipment) in the Western Daily Press. The rep's area was Bristol and the south west, but the company's address was : Purex House, Manvers Way, Farfield Park, Rotherham, S63 7DB.