GLEADLESS COUNTY SCHOOL

Athy

iT WAS SEVENTY YErs ago tody, January 5th1954, that I first stepped through the gate of Gleadless School in Hollinsend Road. I would attend the school for the next five and a half years, starting in Mrs. Bell's reception class, progresing to Mr. Slater's class, J3, and then spending J4 and J5 with Mr. Iossen before moving on to King Ted's Grammar School. Oddly I have no reco;;ection at all of whomy teacher in J2 was.

My first five-y-ear old reaction was how many children were there. I'd expected to see Catol Webb, who lived three doors up Gleadless Avenue from us at number 9, but not ttheese hordes of unknown kids. I soon got used to them, and some of them of course went through all five years with me, so I got to know them quite well.  Of those, names qhich I remember incluude John Hall, Terry Shinn, Andrew Dorling, Malcolm Jermy, Rofney Ellis, Dennis Cadman, Leonard Goodair - probably the biggest boy in the school - Nigel Needham and David Bower. The girls included Susan Briers, Margaret Auger, Hilda burrows, Barbara Douthwaite - whom I had a huge crush on when I was about eight = and the blonder bombshell of the form, Catherine Clark.

Some of these will have moved far away or even passed away since those days, but i would love to hear the reminiscences of NY OF THEM WHO READ THIS SORUM. iT WAS BY AND LARGE A HAPPY SCHOOL, THANKS TO THE HEADMASTER mR. sPIR AND HIS STAFF. mY FULL NAME, IN CASE IT JOGS ANY MEMORIES, IS mICHAEL aTHERTON and I'm not very good with my caps lock.

Gleadless Nursery, First and Middle, School formerly Gleadless County School, Hollinsend Road. April 1970.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24690&pos=77&action=zoom&id=27471

27th June 1981.s24689.jpg.20d034bbe3447d0d64c5d89a7d612fc6.jpgs24689

Transferred from West Riding Education Committee 1921. Reorganised as a Junior and Infant School 1955. Ref: City of Sheffield, Education Committee, Handbook of Information 1964-5 Ref: 379.4274 S

1st July 1986s24688.jpg.e07378ddebd086b95762752943fbe20e.jpgs24688

23rd March 2012. c04331.jpg.0272f690cbebd682a2dd880cedb13476.jpgc04331

• Like 1

Thanks Mr. Tail. The lighter coloured bit in the middle was added while or just after I was there. before that, it was a space where Mr. Lancaster, the caretaker, kept his mountain of coke for the furnaces/boilers. I assume that this was delivered via those central gates, which we mnever used - pupils entered through smaller gates at eachjend, which are off the photos. It's just occurred tome that I 40ahave no idea where the staff kept their cars. Perhaps they parked in the street, or perhaps in the 1950s none of them had one.

AT SOME POINT THE ENTIRE SCHOOL MOVED ACROSS THE ROAD INTO WHAT HAD BEEN A FIELS, BUT i BELIEVE THAT THE ORIGINAL BUILDING IS STILL IN USE FOR SOMETHING ELSE.

The extension in the centre was added after I left (1963) , and I remember one occasion  when Mr Lancaster let us go down into the cellar to see the boiler in action. Those teachers who had cars parked them on Ridgehill Ave at the side of the school. Mr Spir had a VW beetle and Mr Iosson had a Borgward  although in summer he often cycled to school on an ancient pushbike.

• Like 1

Excellent, Bob, thanks. Beetles were still not that commom then - theor owners used to wave to each other when they passed on the road, but Borgwards must ave been quite rare - stylish saloons as I recall, perhspa the model name was Isabella?

You and Imust have overlapped at school. If you have older siblings I may have known them.

Hi Athy. Yes, Mr Iossons car was a Borgward Isabella, and Mr Spirs beetle was black  with a split rear window. He was killed in a car accident shortly after I left. I have three older brothers who all attended Gleadless County - Tony, born 1945, Derek, born 1944, and Edward, born 1942.We lived on Seagrave Crescent.

• Like 1

You must have been your parens' little afterthought.

I remember hearing about Mr. Spir - very sad. I remember his son Barry coming to hep out with games during whaT i assume were his student vacations.