A Sheffielder in the Charge of The 2nd North British Dragoons (Scots Greys) at Waterloo and a casualty of the 1877/79 Zulu War, also Pte 1678, George Hudson, place of birth said to be Bakewell

ManoutotCity

Following on from the considerable interest in soldiers with Sheffield links serving in the Crimean War, I was reminded of two other men, said to be from Sheffield and the wider areas who were also present at historically  important  military engagements should  anyone on SH be able to contribute further…I’ll list them chronologically: 

Waterloo, Napoleonic Wars June  1815

Pte James Smith,  
In 1806 he was said  to have enlisted in the British Army, believed to be the 2nd North British Dragoons (Royal Scot’s Greys)  as he was shown on the nominal roll of that Regiment. 
Said to have been born in Norton Lees, Yorkshire  and worked as a labourer in civilian life.

I know of no other ‘Norton Lees’ but the Sheffield district….though I confess that I’m unsure whether  that area was Yorkshire or Derbyshire in the early 19C..

Anglo Zulu War1877/79.

Pte 1678 George Hudson 2nd Bn 24th Foot . 
Place of birth said to be Bakewell, Derbyshire…I’d guess about 1850.  
he appears to have moved to Manchester where he joined the Army….initially the 6th Lancashire  Militia but then moving to a Regular Army Regiment.
Hudson was killed  along with approx 1700 other British, colonial and native soldiers attacked by a Zulu impi of some 22,000 warriors whilst  encamped at Isandlwana, Natal, South Africa 22 January 1879. The massacre occurring only hours before the perhaps better known (and militarily better out come for the British) when just over a hundred men …mainly also of the 24th Regt fought off another Zulu impi of some two and a half thousand warriors who had travelled (run) some  10 miles from the site of the earlier disaster that day.

It would be most interesting if someone watching this site,  recognised the names and alleged backgrounds of these to men….maybe adding to whats said to be known of local men who, on the face of it, were actually participants in very high profile, historical battles.

Hi Mano. Most interesting post!  - In an 1800s Gazette, it states:-

' Norton-Lees, a village in Norton, Derbyshire, near the boundary of Yorkshire'

So I guess, depending on where this chap actually lived! he might well have classed his home as in Yorkshire.

Regards Heartshome

7 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Mano. Most interesting post!  - In an 1800s Gazette, it states:-

' Norton-Lees, a village in Norton, Derbyshire, near the boundary of Yorkshire'

So I guess, depending on where this chap actually lived! he might well have classed his home as in Yorkshire.

Regards Heartshome

Yeh, don’t think it’s so much where he placed it as others who’ve  written up the story since ….maybe not allowing for the many boundary changes.
BUT it may just be me that’s in error  as I happened on a photo of the Bishops House a few hours ago and it jolted me into thinking that….Norton Lees is  actually closer into the City than I’d initially thought (recalled)…so I don’t think that’s really an issue after all…..more a problem finding a Smith family livin there in the late 18C and  whose lad joined a Scottish Cavalry Regt!

Thanks for your input…

2 hours ago, ManoutotCity said:

Yeh, don’t think it’s so much where he placed it as others who’ve  written up the story since ….maybe not allowing for the many boundary changes.
BUT it may just be me that’s in error  as I happened on a photo of the Bishops House a few hours ago and it jolted me into thinking that….Norton Lees is  actually closer into the City than I’d initially thought (recalled)…so I don’t think that’s really an issue after all…..more a problem finding a Smith family livin there in the late 18C and  whose lad joined a Scottish Cavalry Regt!

Thanks for your input…

No problem! People doing write-ups, ( specially if they aren't from Sheff) don't realise we had a boundary change,

and that an awful lot of what was Derbyshire is now Yorkshire. They, as you remarked, probably thought Norton-Lees

was in Yorkshire back then as it is now.                 Regards H  

Would you happen to have a Birth Date of James Smith?

There is a:-  James Smith buried in St James church yard at Norton, Derbyshire 1794.

I am wondering if this could be his Father! 

9 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Would you happen to have a Birth Date of James Smith?

There is a:-  James Smith buried in St James church yard at Norton, Derbyshire 1794.

I am wondering if this could be his Father! 

Quite possible….precisely why I’ve chucked it out to the wider audience but personally, I’ve NO other details whatsoever, let alone capability of developing the snippet …I simply spotted him by chance, whilst conducting other research, in various ( otherwise, well, though clearly not sufficiently, read !) military Rolls relating to Waterloo…indeed the location APPEARS mis-spelled in at least one case as, ‘Sorton Lees’ ( I confess I’ve not checked for such a place geographically ….it’s possible one exists but being Sheffield born myself  and other references I’ve seen  referring to ‘Norton Lees, Yorkshire’ are enough for me to link him to the Sheffield Area….I maybe wrong but don’t think so. As it happens, I, myself, had Victorian /Edwardian ancestors in Norton … so became aware of the old boundary issues ( I think I once discovered  it was Derbyshire then). 
Developing the lead, however, is quite something else…and would doubtless be done much better by geno-buffs far better able than me. I’m specifically a military historian with little knowledge…indeed interest, in civilian ancestry…though of course and as this case shows, the two were/and of course, still are, inextricably linked. 

Anyway, there  we are…someone may be sufficiently interested, knowledgeable and better able, to get their teeth into it…undaunted by the depressingly common surname !

• Thanks 1

PS!

I meant to add that although I found and messaged a Bakewell ‘history group’, to date, I’ve had no response on the unfortunate Zulu War  Isandhlwana fatal casualty (George Hudson 2/24th Regiment) which is a bit disappointing given the time line is over half a century ‘newer’ than Waterloo…suggesting the greater likelihood of family records, if not actual memories being ‘live’. SH site viewers may think, a very  interesting and significant, personage for any locality to claim let alone a small, Peak market town…

(Incidentally, and I confess  a little tangentially to this site, for anyone interested in the Zulu War and that particular British military disaster, a parish church up here in the North of the County has a memorial to the son of a former Rector, who was left commanding the camp at Isandhlwana…Henry Pulleine….he also died there. Worth a slight detour from the A19 should anyone interested, be in the area.)

Here he is with a bit more about him…BB954954-060C-45C4-9AB7-6AF84A7DC043.thumb.png.b644af1336151b002086f3548ca6ff36.png

3E2B525D-A463-4481-BBB7-1F8940303A75.png